realnames, you're absolutely right about the owners statement, I read that auction description myself a few days ago and I must admit the first think I though when reading that was "yeah can't do much with that name", it would put many off.Originally posted by RealNames
The truth is that we haven't had any good ideas for a killer app to put at the URL... and we haven't been able to justify putting up something stupid just for the sake of doing it when we have had other projects consuming our time.
This is a serious problem with names like these. You could always send the traffic to affiliate programs but they seldom pay or result in any revenue. This is why I estimate the value of Bomb.com at only $500., far less than the $25,000 to $170,000 the owners says its worth.
Any ideas here on how to benefit from type-in traffic on names like these?
As far as value goes; these types of names still have value it's just that the traffic isn't perhaps as valuable as a name in a more specific category. The problem is that its not really worth the $15,000 opening bid, if the reserve was lowered to under $10,000 I think he'd be able to sell.
Its unforunate that you haven't had much luck with affiliates, but that not the case for many members here. It really is a matter of researching the good programs, particularly the ppc search engines, examples of reputable programs include findwhat/befirst, 7search, targetwords, overture etc.
If you don't know anyone who is using a particular affiliate its probably not worth trying; 95% are sharks, so its a matter of finding out about the other 5%.