Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

3D related domain names?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Setatimaier

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
With a lot of quality domain names gone, is it safe to say that the way to go is sort of look into the future on what domain names are going to be popular based on tech trends etc?

While searching for some information on 3D, I checked on the availability of some 3D related domain names as well and found out that 3dtv.com was registered until 2017. So this brings me to the questions, are domain names that are somehow related to 3D (or tech for that matter), something that can be really big in the future (long term)?

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i think most people just assume that technology will eventually evolve to the point where 3d is commonplace. Hard to say how long until though. It could be another 20 years until its in peoples homes.

Ang

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's always a good idea to look toward the future. I own several 3D domains actually, mostly .ca because there were some really nice ones just calling out to me but also a .net and .info because I couldn't resist. If you want to see the list just let me know :)

I often find myself reading the news and seeing stories about technology and then low and behold I'm registering domains. Of course there are the tried and true generics but future names are cheap to reg and easy to hold on to!

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With a lot of quality domain names gone, is it safe to say that the way to go is sort of look into the future on what domain names are going to be popular based on tech trends etc?

While searching for some information on 3D, I checked on the availability of some 3D related domain names as well and found out that 3dtv.com was registered until 2017. So this brings me to the questions, are domain names that are somehow related to 3D (or tech for that matter), something that can be really big in the future (long term)?

back in 2002 > 2003 i was regging "3G" names and everyone was saying..."it may be a while before the technology is commonplace" and in 2003 > 2004 i was regging "mobile tv phone" names.

i guess when you ask these type of questions, you also can raise the consciousness of others who had no idea.

hope you can read between the lines.

:)

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
back in 2002 > 2003 i was regging "3G" names and everyone was saying..."it may be a while before the technology is commonplace" and in 2003 > 2004 i was regging "mobile tv phone" names.

i guess when you ask these type of questions, you also can raise the consciousness of others who had no idea.

hope you can read between the lines.

:)
its one part luck, one part foresight. For examples, those who invested in hddvd have dead tech domains now.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
its one part luck, one part foresight. For examples, those who invested in hddvd have dead tech domains now.

well, you have to know or look at which technologies evolve fastest

recording technology has advanced tremendously in the last 20 years

where the recording medium has become smaller and smaller, while with each evolution...those mediums hold more data.

so it would be logical to assume that these type of technologies are short lived and so would the domains that represent them.

i still remember "8 track" tapes and "reel to reel" decks

who still uses "cassette tapes"?

blu ray may be the thing now, but soon there will be something else

so the recording devices are changing, but think now about how we want to view what we've recorded.

that's where 3d comes in

Ang

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Being able to see the future, not possible - logical prediction of the future is

MarkG3636

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Looking to the future is the only way for small domainers to make money.I reg (3D Ready TVs.com) in 2008, and now that is how the new TVs are being branded in the market place.

Last edited:

tkstark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
markg, so you're the one who registered 3dreadytvs.com? i found the best 3d-related names already gone when i went looking for them a year ago.

3d will become commonplace sooner rather than later. theaters will come first, then home 3d. hollywood studios have had their sights trained on 3d for several years. movie theaters are full of 3d movies. james cameron (titanic and the upcoming, highly anticipated avatar) has said that he doesn't foresee making any non-3d movies in the future. some studio execs who have invested billions of dollars in 3d are saying it will be the biggest thing since sound.

the number of 3d-ready theaters has lagged behind projections. still, the number is pretty huge and growing. exhibitors and studios have bickered over who will pay for converting the nation's screens. there's also been a chicken and egg question. exhibitors haven't wanted to spend big bucks to convert to digital 3d projection because there weren't enough huge 3d movies to justify it and studios worried about making too many expensive 3d movies when there weren't enough screens. it's happening more slowly than predicted. still, it's happening. and having big filmmakers like cameron commit to it will hasten the speed.

i've registered all the decent 3d-related names i could find (and, unfortunately, a few that aren't quite decent). commonplace theatrical 3d is a foregone conclusion. registering home-related 3d names (and mobile 3d) is forward-looking. but domainers like mark g have been looking forward a bit longer than the rest of us, so a lot of the better home 3d names are already taken as well.

Mike Cruz

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
web3d.com sold for $14,301.00 today according to namebio

MarkG3636

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i see 3d (.)Com is a company that is in the process of making a 3D Camera for Cell Phones.

3D will Explode when it there is a 3D Camera in everyones Cell Phone. Why buy a camera when u got on in your phone.

victornumber

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
it's still speculation but quite a good one.

pergamon

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

I handregged 3dgraphicscard.com a couple weeks ago

stunned to see that one available for handregging especialy since the plural was long ago registered and there are 300k exact results for this term

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

No speculation as sky is introducing a 3d channel in 2010 with 3d movies on satellite and cable tv becoming commonplace next year here in the U.K,is the rest of the world that far behind ?

Ang

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agreed, it is not speculation anymore, it is reality. Speculation at this time would be regging 4d domains.

Now here's a question, are you going to be going after end users or holding and waiting for them to come to you?

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Geeez...now you got me started. 3Dtelevisions

Vijaya

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
3D Has Arrived Baby!!

Ice Age 3 has pulled in $601,259,279 internationally and $191,038,252 domestically as of the 17th.

It's got a great voice cast, entertaining story, family appeal and enduring characters but, hey - don't fool yourself! This puppy is in 3D and 40% of the revenues have come from the premium priced experience.

Let me say that again. $240 million from 3D alone overseas! The only movie that comes close to these numbers in many countries is TITANIC - and we all know the director of that little historical piece has another sci-fi coming out (he has done a few sci-fi's before...) in December. Seems almost poetic.

marketsaw.blogspot.com/2009/08/ice-age-dawn-of-dinosaurs-has-racked-up.html

Regards

3dMovieTheater.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators