Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

About second level domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteboy48

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm curious to know what you think about second level domain like blabla.us.com. Do you think there is a market for them? Thank you in advance!

Domain summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
no market, unless they get type-in traffic

Vanster

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Technically, that would be a 3rd level domain.

You'd want to make sure the contract is pretty sound, because if the 2nd level domain owner decided to stop the service, you could end up wasting time and money.

There must be someone that has made a 3rd level domain market from their 2nd level domain(s). Would be an interesting topic to research. Could be a goldmine :)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There must be someone that has made a 3rd level domain market from their 2nd level domain(s). Would be an interesting topic to research. Could be a goldmine :)

centralnic

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, there is a market. To suckers.

Vanster

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good example, thanks Biggie! Must be like a money printing press :) Assuming people are buying 3rd levels. That company has some nice ones for sure.

Are there any reported sales of 3rd level domains? I wonder if auction sites would even list them...

I guess it might not even be allowed from the 3rd level provider. A "you can buy, but you can't resell" policy.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good example, thanks Biggie! Must be like a money printing press :) Assuming people are buying 3rd levels. That company has some nice ones for sure.

Are there any reported sales of 3rd level domains? I wonder if auction sites would even list them...

I guess it might not even be allowed from the 3rd level provider. A "you can buy, but you can't resell" policy.

i have sold a couple of "us.com" domains in the past, but they had type-in traffic
additionally, there is "paperwork" involved in the transfer process for ".us.com", so that can be a barrier to quick flips

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A third level domain registration is not the same as a private subdomain, even though technically they are nearly the same.

Examples of valid third level TLDs: .com.mx, .co.uk, .org.uk, .co.nz, .com.au
Examples of private subdomains marketed as fully-fledged extensions (Centralnic in particular): .uk.com, gb.com, .de.com

The relationship is completely different.
.co.uk is not considered a subdomain of .uk, but an extension of its own and you are dealing with Nominet.
On the other hand if you buy a .uk.com then the ultimate owner is the owner of uk.com. Of course there are legal implications if things go wrong (and they have).

The biggest problem is probably confusion, if you are in Brazil and you use a br.com, people will think it's a typo of .com.br so you risk losing a lot of traffic.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was wondering this too. Seems like Centralnic is the only winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators