Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

An Old Libel Dispute Still Dragging On... Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear (read this).

But, three years ago I knew nothing about this.

Now I do.

Why bring this up to give it more rankings and awareness?

I am quite sure this thread would get indexed and just add more pages to the Google results.

g

The reason I have decided to bring it up here, is because I'm still getting regular death threats, odd phone calls, abusive emails, etc. I simply wanted to get feedback from people who might have dealt with this sort of thing before, and perhaps try a different approach in dealing with it...

Domain Summit 2024

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What did you do? This doesn't seem random...people don't set up sites or pages like this against innocent people. -_-

Oh, that's funny.

Several years ago, I helped put a credit card thief behind bars, and his friends are still upset by it.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Why bring this up to give it more rankings and awareness?

I am quite sure this thread would get indexed and just add more pages to the Google results.

g

The legal section is private Doc, so it doesn't get indexed.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Oh, that's funny.

Several years ago, I helped put a credit card thief behind bars, and his friends are still upset by it.

Come on John, I know I wasted your time contacting you about this years ago, and my apologies for that... I'm small fish, I know, but can we keep tales of credit card fraud out of this thread, that would be extra cool of you.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The reason I have decided to bring it up here, is because I'm still getting regular death threats, odd phone calls, abusive emails, etc

Are you sure they're from this earlier thing, and not from members here?

Just kidding :smilewinkgrin:

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Are you sure they're from this earlier thing, and not from members here?

Just kidding :smilewinkgrin:

You never know, I can get pretty obnoxious in the political threads at times. :lol:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was the victim in a rear end collision which broke my back.

The driver had his license revoked and was driving another business's car.

The driver repeatedly made threats to me to solve this quitely, I don't know who I'm messing with, and the owners of the vehicle had "connections".

Twenty four years later...

What did you do? This doesn't seem random...people don't set up sites or pages like this against innocent people. -_-
This is the internet.

Of course they do.

All the time.

How many of these sites exists?

It must be in the hundreds of thousands.

How many threats are made daily on forums, chats, emails, sites etc?

Probably in the millions.

How many bogus sites owners/managed to you think are actually prosecuted?

Perhaps a fraction of 1%.

This is the internet. You don't have to do a thing to have you named trashed. All you have to do is piss someone off.

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Reminds me I was driving in Paris a few years ago and some guy in Car next
to me in rear seats was driving alongside and had both hands holding a pistol
pointed at my head. Did the best immediate U turn ever.

Now what thats got to do with this thread I dont know but anyway
youve got it.

DG

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Found the blog posts about you.

Some of your comments were unappropriated in my opinion (I mean about her physical aspect). The matter was escalated due to those irrelevant comments.

The best thing to do if you want to resolve this is to speak with the blogger and to tell her what she wants to hear (it seems pretty clear in her post).

Good luck!

My one "yuck" comment [singular] was definitely inappropriate, no doubt, but when a stranger gets in my face and starts hurling insults at me, naturally I react.

And I'm not certain the comment made after the fact would have prevented the libel from being published. I'm not convinced of that at all. Any 50 year old adult that would dedicate 4 months of their life to doing something like this, is clearly not on solid ground to begin with. That indisputable fact is out in plain view.

Apologies were made as well, one over the phone... but that is not the issue, it never was the issue. It's now "oh my, if I take this down, will that incriminate me somehow?" It's a liability issue, sprinkled with some other darker home grown stuff. But then again that's just my perspective, I've never yanked someone off the street and beat them to a bloody pulp for having a foreign email address, maybe in Xanadu that's how they roll. Who knows...

Reminds me I was driving in Paris a few years ago and some guy in Car next
to me in rear seats was driving alongside and had both hands holding a pistol
pointed at my head. Did the best immediate U turn ever.

Now what thats got to do with this thread I dont know but anyway
youve got it.

DG

Spot on, this issue is exactly like "road rage", definitely. This person was clearly way off kilter before I arrived on the scene, and I ended up getting lynched because I had a .pl email address.

NostraDomainus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You didn't get a new phone number after seeing it online and sub-sequently receiving death threats?

I believe in Canada, like the UK, our Charter or Rights and Freedoms makes it criminal to harass others, which opens the door to a different course than what you seem to be taking. Maybe you have such an angle too?

They got Capone on tax evasion right, not murder or mobbin' or whatever?

GL.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I'd say your offer for that domain was rather generous; her reaction was spastic but to further publicize an email exchange just to show off to her circle was definitely immature. The question is, what can be done to take it down.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Come on John, I know I wasted your time contacting you about this years ago, and my apologies for that... I'm small fish, I know, but can we keep tales of credit card fraud out of this thread, that would be extra cool of you.

Ummm.... I wouldn't recall a consult from several years ago. I was referring to my own experience of helping put a criminal away, which is the genesis of the "interesting", and incomplete material one can find about me in a Google search.

That situation would have had nothing to do with whatever it is you're upset about. I have no idea who you are.

I was simply pointing out that, yes, people write the strangest "smear pages" sometimes.

This is the internet. You don't have to do a thing to have you named trashed. All you have to do is piss someone off.

Bingo. Plus, some people are born pissed off, and measure their own worth by how miserable they can make others out of disproportionate rage.

My favorite, though, was the guy on the other end of a lawsuit who did this:

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/ftp/pub/news/news-notice.2000.04.04-00.05.18.html

Daily Usenet report
Apr 4 00:05:18 -- Apr 5 00:05:26
Newsgroups created:

alt.pedophile.john-b-berryhill-phd-jd

Yeah, people wouldn't do that stuff if it wasn't true. Suuuuuuuure.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ummm.... I wouldn't recall a consult from several years ago.

A thought flashed through my mind along the lines of "hey, that's the arse that ruined my morning coffee a few years ago." You never know...

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A thought flashed through my mind along the lines of "hey, that's the arse that ruined my morning coffee a few years ago." You never know...

Naw... even if I couldn't help you, you wouldn't have ruined my morning coffee. When I was with a firm and accountable to someone else for my time, I could have had other issues with how it was spent. These days, the real problem is dealing with more inbound casual non-billable queries than there are hours in a day to address. But I don't mind helping out folks who have a problem other than "I want to make more money by getting free advice from you."

The bottom line on a lot of "someone said something bad about me on the internet, and I'm upset" issues is that IMHO moderately intelligent people have learned to take a lot of that kind of stuff on the internet with a grain of salt. Some "smear site" stuff is so over-the-top that such sites or commentary tend to reflect more on the character of the person making the criticism than on their target.

A few years back, there was an apparently mentally disturbed person who had failed to renew a domain name, and he went on a rip about how I was part of some grand conspiracy against him. Unfortunately, he also didn't renew the domain name where his screeds were posted, but part of it remains at a free hosting site:

http://www.japan1.freewebspace.com/mk/hunt3.htm

You can poke around the base URL for more of his rantings. He even has a picture of me from my clean shaven days:

http://www.japan1.freewebspace.com/cgi-bin/i/mk/jbb.jpg

But, he's a bona fide nutcase.

So, if you believe stuff on the internet, I'm a thief, a pedophile, a kook, and probably lots of other things too. It's tough keeping up with what an awful person I am.

keyser

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Because of this thread, the DNF member Keyser is threatening to exacerbate this libel issue, because I called him out on destroying an appraisal thread I started several days ago, highlighting my concerns above. I assume what his threats mean, is he's going to spread the false accusations around some more. The mods refuse to ban him so far, so I may not post too much info about myself here, until that issue is properly resolved. We'll see...

Dont worry, it doesnt fit in my schedule :)
With this pm, I was just replying to your [you know what] comments.

I hope you do not really think I would do such a thing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators