Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld another jerk move by CIRA

Status
Not open for further replies.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anyone else notice the whois change at CIRA.
You can no longer see the popularity of a keyword by just entering the keyword in the whois search box.
( You could previously type in "seo" and the first 20+ results were displayed, as well as the number of total domains that started with "seo" )
Jerks, jerks, jerks.

Eifwen

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ya this blows.

Last edited:

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just noticed this now... horrible move on their part.

There is no visible benefit to them in doing this. Anybody have any ideas?

Funny how we had covered this functionality in a discussion topic a week or so... think that had anything to do with the downfall of this feature?

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
wow, crap move. Why though?

M.U.

CEO of Thinkk
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry for being a noob, but what is CIRA?

M.U.

CEO of Thinkk
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Canadian Internet Registration Authority (CIRA)

www.cira.ca

Wow, they had a feature where one could see the popularity of a keyword? Thats cool. I haven't seen that on any other cctld-registration authority.

So it seems they are doing what others are doing and only provide whois info without any extras. Why remove a feature that is really beneficial to their users? Its different if they did not have it in first place, but why remove it?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After so many years that's a shame.

Provider

www.mike.ca
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Due to security reasons, WHOIS will now only return a single search result for the exact term entered into the search bar. If no .CA is added to the search term, the WHOIS tool will automatically append a .CA to the search term and complete the WHOIS look-up."

I think CIRA's approach is wrong. WHOIS is for others to learn who the domain name owner is, plain and simple. Unfortunately when you give a powerful tool like that to people that don't understand the purpose of it, don't understand how the Internet works in the first place, and what its based on, they are trying to change it. For them, any disclosure about the domain name registered and who owns them is a security breach.

Transactions done over the Internet are a large part of the economy nowadays. All these transactions based on trust, and WHOIS is a one of the reasons why we have such developed service industry on the Internet. Basically it states loud and clear to the provider of services: everyone knows your identity if you post something bad online, or if you don't provide the service you promised to the consumer. In other words CIRA fails to understand that information about the domain name owners is contributing to user confidence in the internet and WHOIS is tool for understanding who is the owner of domain name is and who is responsible for the content posted on the website, and services provided. Without WHOIS we would be having a lot more fraud, simply because many unreliable people would knew that nobody will find them. That's why CIRA's WHOIS is not WHOIS at all. I mean they can call it WHOIS, but in reality it is some kind of twisted version of it, it is the same as having only company names in the Yellow Pages, and no phone numbers. If there is no way to find out who owns the domain names, Canadian consumer left unprotected.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Due to security reasons, WHOIS will now only return a single search result for the exact term entered into the search bar. If no .CA is added to the search term, the WHOIS tool will automatically append a .CA to the search term and complete the WHOIS look-up."

I think CIRA's approach is wrong. WHOIS is for others to learn who the domain name owner is, plain and simple. Unfortunately when you give a powerful tool like that to people that don't understand the purpose of it, don't understand how the Internet works in the first place, and what its based on, they are trying to change it. For them, any disclosure about the domain name registered and who owns them is a security breach.

Transactions done over the Internet are a large part of the economy nowadays. All these transactions based on trust, and WHOIS is a one of the reasons why we have such developed service industry on the Internet. Basically it states loud and clear to the provider of services: everyone knows your identity if you post something bad online, or if you don't provide the service you promised to the consumer. In other words CIRA fails to understand that information about the domain name owners is contributing to user confidence in the internet and WHOIS is tool for understanding who is the owner of domain name is and who is responsible for the content posted on the website, and services provided. Without WHOIS we would be having a lot more fraud, simply because many unreliable people would knew that nobody will find them. That's why CIRA's WHOIS is not WHOIS at all. I mean they can call it WHOIS, but in reality it is some kind of twisted version of it, it is the same as having only company names in the Yellow Pages, and no phone numbers. If there is no way to find out who owns the domain names, Canadian consumer left unprotected.

This all goes back to the Privacy change a few years ago. As I've posted many times, these changes were only championed by lawyers - why? The answer is obvious.
No one can post a malicious, libelous Letter to the Editor, run such an ad in a paper, or on TV or radio.
But one can do so anonymously via CIRA, and the only recourse is to hire a lawyer.

One can understand hiding the home address of a registrant, and the CIRA "Contact a Registrant" email method.
However, if the domain name does not actually belong to the registrant, which is CIRA's rules, then the registrant wanting to "use" a .ca domain name, should be compelled to be identified for their justification of registration, as well as site use.

Paul & Rob get their TBR fees, CIRA execs get their junkets, and the lawyers have their no-alternative business.

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There has been many changes imposed by CIRA from 2008, when they were officially launched.. this would rate as the Most Stupendous change of ALL . I wish someone is listening and would urge CIRA to revisit this decision.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe I’m an idiot, but how does this improve security?

I can still lookup who owns domain.ca and have access to their info if it’s public
But typing in just the keyword to see how many domains begin with that keyword is dangerous?

Huh?

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Maybe I’m an idiot, but how does this improve security?

I can still lookup who owns domain.ca and have access to their info if it’s public
But typing in just the keyword to see how many domains begin with that keyword is dangerous?

Huh?

It doesn't. But the CIRA tech dept avoids work like crazy. It was the same reasoning as taking the TBR from daily to weekly (and runoured monthly) to avoid the work it brings.

There is less coding work this way and less to maintain.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It doesn't. But the CIRA tech dept avoids work like crazy. It was the same reasoning as taking the TBR from daily to weekly (and runoured monthly) to avoid the work it brings.

There is less coding work this way and less to maintain.

agree...plus let's be totally honest

I'm sure it was being over used/abused by some...

I think most people have an idea why it's been shutdown. too bad really.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How could it have been abused and why? Is running multiple lookups with just the keyword a big drain on resources and thus a problem?

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How could it have been abused and why? Is running multiple lookups with just the keyword a big drain on resources and thus a problem?

Not on an individual basis but once you get hundreds or thousands of lookups running daily it would be a huge bandwidth and server load issue.

And the real issue is probably 99% of the users didn't really want or need the info or understand how it could be used differently

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think this will have the reverse effect and cause data scrapers to start on CIRA since the data is no longer easier to accumulate.

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think this will have the reverse effect and cause data scrapers to start on CIRA since the data is no longer easier to accumulate.

I would think so too.. Time to make more money selling "whois" data...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom