Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Are city parks considered geographic locations? Would they be a generic domain?

bhartzer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Let's say, for example, that a city decided to create a local park for its residents. They city named the park and owns the land where the the park is located. As example, let's call it "DNForum City Park".

Could you buy DNForumCityPark.com because it would be considered a "geographic location"? Or does the city, who created the park, have rights to the name (and the domain)?

Domain summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

i would think the city who created the park, would have rights to the name.
as the name would be displayed in prominent places around it and also used to promote the city for tourists.

found an obscure case which might be of interest though:

imo....

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let's say, for example, that a city decided to create a local park for its residents. They city named the park and owns the land where the the park is located. As example, let's call it "DNForum City Park".

Could you buy DNForumCityPark.com because it would be considered a "geographic location"? Or does the city, who created the park, have rights to the name (and the domain)?

You can buy the cityname.com, why not the park? City can use park.cityname.gov or even parkname.gov

bhartzer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What if the city, who created the park, wants the park name's .com domain? And the city thinks the current owner registered it in bad faith?

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
I think if the .COM is available then no one cares, if they contact me later I will just tell them in case of bad faith, I will force you to pay me 2 times of the domain price for bad memory and iresponsability, if you cared you should have moved your *** and register it or renew it in case of drop, I already have a couple of such names and their trademark is expired already, so they did not renew the trademark registration alongside with domain, and I was able to hand reg them.
This is my own opinion, consult with lawier and attorney better!
P.s. i recently searched a Disney related domain, it is parked but Disney use a longer version which tells me they not care or can't fight it.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I will force you to pay me 2 times of the domain price for bad memory and iresponsability,
Hi

you won't be in a position to force anything, should they send you a C&D.

imo....

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
Hi

you won't be in a position to force anything, should they send you a C&D.

imo....
Well that is not serious of what i say, but I m sure I can defend what I have in proper legal way, will have to read more about laws, UDRP, trademark and copyright.
And of course I m against any trademark or copyright infringement, cause I know how is when someone duplicates your work.
Better to invent something of my own which does not exist yet.

shchdmitrii

Reaction score
About domains for city(Moscow) park.

In 2019 I regsitered park*.net and park*.ru
According to whois history records, it appears in 2017 the park's administration forgot to renew this domain.

In ~ 2 yaers the park's administration hasn't event
filed a lawsuit.
More over even Moscow's Joint parks' Administration hasn't filed a lawsuit

And as a bonus about Disney...

In ~2019 I registered w****.com , ~2017 w****.ru and ~ 2018 w***.enter***

And in 2019 i forgot to renew w***.enter*** and for ~ 1 year it was free, so I re-registered it... So even Disney haven't registered it.

I'm 100% sure UDRP is affordable for Disney.
These domains is actually a company's name from their film about 21st Century, so
I think they could win UDRP...

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom