Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Are the wwwXXXXXX.com typos worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molotov

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Found a few interesting wwwXXX.com domains [the typo between www and name].
Do peopel realyl do that mistake or rather ppress wrong keys?
Would liek to hear form peopel owning this kind of typo domains.

Is there any study on which typos are most common? :)

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You're not the first one to wonder this. Let me tell you, the guys who are making real money off of typo traffic have formulas, scripts and automated systems to figure this out for them. I think you'll have one hard time competing when it comes to predicting this sort of behaviour.

They're still TM typos, and for that reason, pose great risk to those who own them.

Also, very few people type "www." anymore, so the chances of the "www" being struck prior to the rest of the domain are much lower than they were in the early days of the Internet.

Molotov

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
so the wwwXXXX.com doesnt make any sense now?
only the XXXXY.com make sense as typos?

would be propably too eay with www :/

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I dont think he was talking about trademark typos more that fact of forgetting to put the period after the WWW and mixing it with the name.

I have done that in the past by accident but no correlation between that kind of typo and the domain name traffic.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The pool of domain names has been mined to death for years and imo you would be very lucky if you can still find a typo that gets any meaningful (and converting) traffic. Not even mentioning possible typo-squatting issues of course.

There is also the variant wwwdomaincom (when num lock is off), in the past browsers would automatically append .com to the end of the domain but I think that is no longer the case now. Browsers would rather steal your typo traffic an ditto for the search engines.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Found a few interesting wwwXXX.com domains [the typo between www and name].
Do peopel realyl do that mistake or rather ppress wrong keys?
Would liek to hear form peopel owning this kind of typo domains.

Is there any study on which typos are most common? :)

why don't you register some of them typos you made in this post ^ ^

:)

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The pool of domain names has been mined to death for years and imo you would be very lucky if you can still find a typo that gets any meaningful (and converting) traffic. Not even mentioning possible typo-squatting issues of course.

There is also the variant wwwdomaincom (when num lock is off), in the past browsers would automatically append .com to the end of the domain but I think that is no longer the case now. Browsers would rather steal your typo traffic an ditto for the search engines.

I work with and follow startups very closely. Many times, I see a new startup being launched that I know will hit it big (great idea, great team, great execution are some indicators). More often than not, common typos for these new startups are easily available. Pinterest typos were available when it was just a tiny service in alpha stage (and I had an invite).

I don't register these typos because of my position of trust with startups, a position I wouldn't want to compromise on. But I will tell you that if you know where to look, there are still plenty of profitable typos available even today.

Molotov

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
why don't you register some of them typos you made in this post ^ ^

:)

first i need to know if they are worth it :)

I work with and follow startups very closely. Many times, I see a new startup being launched that I know will hit it big (great idea, great team, great execution are some indicators). More often than not, common typos for these new startups are easily available. Pinterest typos were available when it was just a tiny service in alpha stage (and I had an invite).

I don't register these typos because of my position of trust with startups, a position I wouldn't want to compromise on. But I will tell you that if you know where to look, there are still plenty of profitable typos available even today.

startups typos is great idea but my main concer nhere if the wwwXXXX.com typos are still money or not. ie wwwpinterest.com [if this example :)]

macblogger

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Do you think that it is possible to register new brand "wwwadidas" and make it TM an R ? I mean like it has nothing in common with original Adidas TM, it's brand new word.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Do you think that it is possible to register new brand "wwwadidas" and make it TM an R ? I mean like it has nothing in common with original Adidas TM, it's brand new word.

I'd like to see how your application would make it past the office shredder.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Also, very few people type "www." anymore, so the chances of the "www" being struck prior to the rest of the domain are much lower than they were in the early days of the Internet.

Very true - in fact we brand all our client sites without the www prefix... that being said, there are still PLENTY (not sure of detailed metrics) who certainly still have the www prefix ingrained in their mind.

Rob

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Very true - in fact we brand all our client sites without the www prefix... that being said, there are still PLENTY (not sure of detailed metrics) who certainly still have the www prefix ingrained in their mind.

Rob

It's somewhat implied... just as though if I were to tell you to call 800 XXX XXXX, you would know to dial 1 first.

Though in the case of a URL, it is not necessary. Just a habit for many, so much so to the point that it is no longer worth mentioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom