Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

*Banging my head on concrete*

Status
Not open for further replies.

straWbob

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

For relief from the pain!

Working with a site developer from overseas that could care less about a deadline or schedule!

I've searched for reasons my own actions would be the cause of the problem, and I canNOT rationalize his ill behaviour. :grumpy: This is not time-consuming graphics work, or programming we're discussing.

Question to the board-
How many developers did you work with before finding one you worked well with?

Stra

Domain Summit 2024

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hundreds and its never usually a pleasant experience.

-=DCG=-

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hundreds and its never usually a pleasant experience.

-=DCG=-

LOL
Thank God it's not just me!
I have a great guy in Pakistan who does work for me.
The worst i have had is in UK, also the most expensive. Still working on a project 9 months later. It's had every 'bug' known to man apparently. :rolleyes:
When you get one that does the business for the right money, handcuff him :smilewinkgrin:
Good Luck

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You should always use referrals, or when you come across a really nice web site that is similiar in content to that of yours, and makes a lasting impression, go through the pages and give it a test drive, if everything checks out OK, contact the Owner or Webmaster and ask who built it, I did this a few times and they happily replied back with contact info.....Good luck!

straWbob

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind "next time."

Just hearing others have gone through it is support enough to invigorate me. I'm trying to get a site up to list my domains for sale and I can't see any reason why it's taken 18 days to receive my first html page. That's not complete.

I provided dreamweaver mock-ups for the general layout at the beginning.

*crunch* *crunch* *crunch*

What's your opinion of the freelance sites Get A Freelancer, Elance, and Guru?

mikesherov

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the problem is that most people don't want to pay a lot for a programmer, so they seek out the cheapest one. The programmer then works on your project till he can find someone who's willing to pay more.

By that point, they have your deposit, can forget about sending you the finished project, and move onto the next guy because they are half a world away and could not care less about you and your project.

Work with referrals and people who have set fair pricing structures. In programming, you get what you pay for. I should know, I do a lot of freelance coding myself, and won't settle for a penny less than what I'm worth: $35/hour.

DomainMagnate

Domain Magnate™
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Worked with hundreds, from India, Pakistan, Ukraine etc..
It's always like that - you need to give very clear specs and deadlines and make an impression you're ready to cancel the project if deadline is not met (and I had to few times as well), that way you'll get it done on time.

all freelance sites are fine, just try to select only people with a bunch of positive reviews. I mostly use scriptlance.com for small projects.

Obviously you get what you pay for, but.. why pay more, if you can get same stuff done cheaper :)

IDEAS4

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I only work with US coders/developers now - it's a cultural thing for lack of care for deadlines and timeframes and the fact it takes 4x longer to get anything done - even at $15/hour - it's not worth it.

wadsworth

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
After much trial and error I've come up with two rules:

1. If it's important don't deal with anyone you can't call on the phone.

2. Pay people you have had good experience with whatever they ask.

If all else fails you can do what I did, marry a top notch web developer. :approve:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel

Latest Comments

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators