Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Best social networking software?

twells22

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have been searching for social networking software and scripts for a while now and have come across several but just don't know which one to go with. I have seen Dolphin (which I'm using now but they have some problems there and there isn't much support), Handshakes, phpFox, Drupal, Joomla CB, heard of phpRaven but haven't got to see it yet, and several more. I want to know what is your favorite. I also want to know of any out there that I don't know about, no matter the price.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I didn't like Dolphin, either. The frontend is decent but the backend is difficult to navigate. Joomla is pretty good and there are extensions you can add to fit your needs.

Tia Wood

IDEAS4

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
try socialengine.net - it's $250, but miles ahead of others for functionality, modules, ease of administration...I had a onesite.com site for $30 a month and dropped it for this one...

Art

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
try socialengine.net - it's $250, but miles ahead of others for functionality, modules, ease of administration...I had a onesite.com site for $30 a month and dropped it for this one...

Art

Thanks!

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I disagree, the new dolphin is spot on and i cannot see anything near it on the market !!

emark

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
BuildACommunity.com has software, and a hosted package we plan to use next year. I tried the demo and it looks good to me. But then again I'm not sure I know what all to look for.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
forgot to mention it's true dolphin's support sucks big time !!

ajiabs

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
my opinion is kind of biased. have you looked at iScripts SocialWare. It's opensource. so you can modify as you need. It got most of the general features plus some unique ones as gift shop etc..

twells22

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I bought socialengine.net's script. It was a good script but I decided not to go on with the site. I will sell it to anyone for $250. I payed $300 for the script and the video/picture album add on, so you're getting a deal. I've owned it for about a week. Just let me know if you want it.

Giode

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good info on this thread!

I've never really been into these social network type sites. Nothing against them, I just haven't felt the need I guess. Following some advice from a credible source, I have decided to "explore" setting up a social network of types on my domain Character .com. This name would work if I had a clue what the heck I was doing or how to approach something like this.

Upon doing a search for "social network software" waaayyyy more search results came up than I expected. Very competitive, and leaves me more than confused. The above comments have been helpful, and I appreciate that, but there are still many questions.

Trying to keep it on topic and not hijack this thread, let me ask, is any of the above mentioned softwares unique? By this I mean, are these all very similar, or do they allow enough customizability to differentiate themselves and appear unique to the end-user? My hunch is that in order to be a successful social network you almost need to have a software custom built, rather than widely sold. Am I off here?

From what I am hearing Social Engine is one of the best new social softwares.

RTM.net

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I bought socialengine.net's script. It was a good script but I decided not to go on with the site. I will sell it to anyone for $250. I payed $300 for the script and the video/picture album add on, so you're getting a deal. I've owned it for about a week. Just let me know if you want it.

I'll sell it for $200 now.

Is this still available - also, just to contribute to this overall thread, is there a specific reason why you are selling it ??

Thanks,

Rob

BinderGang

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just came across this thread.

If anyone's interested, I have a completely customized social network. Programmers were paid to build everything from scratch. I'm looking to sell it, which comes with the complete rights to the coding and such.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators