Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Business Insider: 10 Myths About The New Top-Level Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domainate.com

Selling Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
10 Myths About The New Top-Level Domains

Got an article published in one of the most active mainstream business blogs regarding the new TLDs, essentially pointing out a lot of misinformation that's been going around most of the mainstream blogs regarding the new TLD program. Feel free to share your comments!

EUROPEAN

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good Article, I will sleep better tonight !

Domainate.com

Selling Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Enjoyed the writeup... some sober reflection on the misconceptions & hype about "every" joe having their own extension. Good job.

Great post. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks...I've seen more articles come out since that have made similar points, essentially downplaying the new TLD program and the impact it will have, but before I wrote that article I had been seeing an excess of "these new TLDs will take over the internet!" kinds of articles by mainstream blogs and news sources - basically people without an understanding of domains and that there IS evidence to suggest these new TLDs won't make the impact they're expected to.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i'd like to know if you could set it up so you can visit a site by typing .whatever or just whatever, rather than having to always type something before the .whatever.

Domainate.com

Selling Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i'd like to know if you could set it up so you can visit a site by typing .whatever or just whatever, rather than having to always type something before the .whatever.

The closest would be to use the domain www.whatever. These get a lot of type-in typically and have been very hard to get in existing extensions.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The closest would be to use the domain www.whatever. These get a lot of type-in typically and have been very hard to get in existing extensions.

that seems lame. i'd imagine most people still typing in www. are novices. if they wanted to do this right the base tld should be able to have a site and be accessed just by typing in the extention, with or without the "."

Tom K.

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks...I've seen more articles come out since that have made similar points, essentially downplaying the new TLD program and the impact it will have, but before I wrote that article I had been seeing an excess of "these new TLDs will take over the internet!" kinds of articles by mainstream blogs and news sources - basically people without an understanding of domains and that there IS evidence to suggest these new TLDs won't make the impact they're expected to.

Completely agree. You just need to look at the history of biz, mobi, name, and us extensions as examples. None of these extensions lived up to the hype that preceded them. It is an insurmountable task to try to change people's behavior online. The only extensions with proven marketing staying power are the original 3 and certain cctld's. Thanks for the article.

Domainate.com

Selling Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Completely agree. You just need to look at the history of biz, mobi, name, and us extensions as examples. None of these extensions lived up to the hype that preceded them. It is an insurmountable task to try to change people's behavior online. The only extensions with proven marketing staying power are the original 3 and certain cctld's. Thanks for the article.

Well the truth of the matter is there's nothing special about com, net and org other than they were the first extensions, but they were the first and pretty much the only extensions besides ccTLDs for certain countries that people had to choose from until .info etc. came out in 2001. Heck, the bubble already came and went by then!

That's a lot of history and familiarity to overcome. Now if the situation were reversed, if .keyword and .brand came out initially in droves, and then someone decided to come out with .com, .net and .org, they'd get laughed at. But the situation being what it is, being first and established for so long makes all the difference.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think there is anticipation among domain circles, that consumers are going to become more acceptive of 'alt' extension, as a result of the vastly increased supply.
Essentially, I believe this reasoning is flawed.
Alternative extensions enjoy little mindshare today because they lack major players that will carry and enhance their brands (that's what TLDs are...). Think of it, what do the big players use.
I don't see how that is going to change. The corpTLDs ? How many companies will eventually own their TLD ? Just because ebay decides to own .ebay, and even uses it - doesn't make me want to set up my business on .buzz or else.
As usual, domain speculators will be hit the most in their vain quest for gold :yes:

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good job, Steve, esp. when it's published on a mainstream business website. I guess what the new TLD hits home is, the rules are changing, regardless of whether any 1 or 100 of them actually suceed, albeit quite a while from now. Some business people are still having a hard time digesting the "news" that the (business) world as we knew it has already undergone some fundamental changes: new platforms are emerging REALLY quickly while old industries went from slow to dead in just years. If there is anything we could learn from this (or CD, or DVD), it's that we are moving forward way much faster than our fathers and grandfathers did. Get this, or you'll be left behind.

NameBrandable

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good article, Steve. I just noticed it. We need to get the word out, since the dumbed-down mainstream press love the dot-anything headline. Though I am tired of having to explain this to every friend who thinks we domain investors are going to lose our shirts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom