Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Can Cira Fine You For Owning A .ca While Not Living In Ca?

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was purchasing some domains and my seller made a mistake as two of the names he no longer owned. As I had already paid him he wanted to give me some .ca domains instead so he'd not have to refund me.-

- And I went for it. I like the .ca names I got but I am in USA. -
- Anyone here's got experience with CIRA contacting you on this? Other cctlds aren't tough on domain holders living elsewhere but how about Canada?

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
anyone know if cira can cause problems for a non-candian domainer living in another country and owning .ca names? have not owned many .ca domains in the past.-

.ca looks somewhat different than other popular cctld such as uk, au, de, nl, etc--

Namefox

Namefox
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you don't have an actual Canadian presence (business or otherwise), then CIRA has the right to take the domain away from you. Unfortunately, .ca domains are for Canadian use only or if you live in another country, you must have a Canadian presence (registered business).

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
better get rid of them soon. had heard some nic registries do roboscans of whois database and check for non-ca addresses. suppose letting a canadian domainer lend his info as the admin would not work as the domains are in my account. thanks for the comment.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom