Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Category Killer, Category-defining, Generic, and Premium Domains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salient

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is my opinion and is based upon my experience and expectations when dealing in domain names. I would like you to share your feelings on the subject.

I see the term Category Killer and/or Category-defining used frequently and I am not sure everybody gets it or is on the same page. The same can be said about using the term “generic” to describe a domain name. Furthermore, just how big is the scale when determining a domain name to be “premium?” Here is what I feel…

In general terms and defined in Wikipedia: Category killer is a term used in marketing and strategic management to describe a product, service, brand, or company that has such a distinct sustainable competitive advantage that competing firms find it almost impossible to operate profitably in that industry. The existence of a category killer will eliminate almost all market entities, whether real or virtual. Many existing firms will leave the industry, thereby increasing the industry's concentration ratio.

One example used in Wikipedia is eBay. However, eBay is not a good example as it relates to the domain industry. Why? Because eBay is an established brand which was built with gobs of money. The word eBay (which is not really a word), in itself, does not directly reflect what business the company operates – online consumer auction house. However, eBay is a category killer because it virtually owns the online auction market. What eBay is not, a category-defining domain name.

A category-defining domain name in the online auction space would be Auction.com – because it describes exactly what type of business is likely to be operating there. The domain name itself is not necessarily a category killer. However, the chances of a category-defining domain name of becoming a category killer are greater than if one tries to corner the market with something like OnlineAuctionsbyMike.com. In other words, if you spend the same amount of money, the category-defining domain name is more likely to succeed.

Now as far as generic domain names go, and this is what I am asking for when inquiring about yours; a generic domain name is one word with meaning. Some may argue for two words, but in my opinion those are called “premium” domain names.

Some examples of generic domain names; some.com, examples.com, of.com, this.com, or.com, that.com.

Premium domain names start at the top of the scale and end in one of two places: 1) high traffic, with a consideration for quality, or 2) short, keyword rich domains. For example; a category-defining domain name is premium. A generic domain name is premium. A domain with steady convertible traffic is premium – This number may vary depending on the quality of traffic, but on the low end I would expect 100 unique visitors per day. Lastly, keyword-rich domains which are not three, four, five, and more words long. There are some good examples in the geo-domain sector; ChicagoDoctors.com, FloridaOrganics.com, etc. What must be taken into account is the quality of the keywords as it relates to conversion (ROI). Furthermore, how much can I expect to spend to draw in good traffic? (Development)

It will be debated, but in my opinion this is how I perceive the differences between category killer, category-defining, generic, and premium domains.

I would like alternate viewpoints on the topic from others, please.

Regards,
Stuart.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMO it all depends on the level and who you're marketing to.

Now, chickens.com would be a category killer for everything chickens but then you can take a step down to:

bantams.com which would be a category killer for this smaller group.

Then, dutchbantams.com would even be a category killer but for a smaller group than the bantams.com

Sure, the "ultimate" (and most valuable) category killer is chickens.com but would the Dutch bantam fanciers type that in to get to their relevant information?

I think when people speak, in general, of a category killer that it would be the best keyword *and* the highest value (low # letters / keywords, etc..).

Now, DutchBantamClubsOfSouthEastFortLauderdale.com is, in NO WAY, a category killer.

Edit: To sum it up, I think a "category killer" would be a domain that best describes the category in as few keywords as possible *and* (if it is more than one) how it would be spoken / typed naturally (bantamsdutch.com would not be a CK).

Last edited:

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
draggar said:
Now, chickens.com would be a category killer for everything chickens

Wouldn't "BIRDS.com" be the category killer? or "HENS.com" or "Roosters.com" or "Cocks.com" :blush:
What about "animals.com" ?

I wonder which came first chicken.com or eggs.com ? registered first, that is

Last edited:

harleyx

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is there really a point to making these distinctions? No matter what buzz word you come up with to describe the cream of the crop, it will get diluted by the dozens of longshot hero's trying to get attention to their thread of regfee value names until the buzz word loses all meaning and a new one is thought up.

Every 3rd thread sells "premium", "aged", "catagory killer", "generic", and "generic keyword" domains.

From everything I've seen, the worthwhile domains (at fair prices) here sell themselves.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't "BIRDS.com" be the category killer?

For all things birds / avians, then yes.

or "HENS.com" or "Roosters.com" or "Cocks.com" :blush:

female chickens, male chickens, male chickens (respectively & staying on topic).

What about "animals.com" ?

Too general for the bird / chicken domains but a definite category killer for overall animals, for example a zoo or other animal sanctuary (or veterenarian / scientist?)

IMO while there can be a clear definition of "category killer" there can be many examples, all depending on how precise you want to go.

tldrental

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Salient

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Glad it helped, tldr.

Thanks for the input, draggar and Bob.

Harley, you actually pointed out one reason which motivated this thread. The problem newer domain investors face is the fact they might not know better.

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Salient, you own wifi dot com. I think thats one fine example of a category killer...so perhaps you're best suited to answer your own question.

Btw, where would you put 2L, 3L, 4L.com names in this category? They neither represent any generic premium name, nor a category killer. They're valued just because they're rare, if nothing else

Salient

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Salient, you own wifi dot com. I think thats one fine example of a category killer...so perhaps you're best suited to answer your own question.

Btw, where would you put 2L, 3L, 4L.com names in this category? They neither represent any generic premium name, nor a category killer. They're valued just because they're rare, if nothing else

Good question. Personally, I feel all two character .coms are premium simply because of their length. With three character .coms, many are premium but some (imo) simply dont make any sense and personally hold little or no value to me. As far as four character .coms - I couldnt be bothered unless they mean something and random letter (and number) combinations are not premium domain names.

I would rather have four random numbers than random letters. I would use the last four digits of my phone number, for example, to setup an online messaging center for myself, family members, and friends. That adds value to such a domain.

Im sure others can find value in random four-letter .coms, but I dont.

But to answer your question, I would call the domains you mention "premium" in most cases, but not generic.

And although I agree wifi dot com could be a category killer, by definition it is not. It is category-defining, however. When the domain allows me to walk out on my day job without regret, then it is a category killer. :smilewinkgrin:

harleyx

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The problem newer domain investors face is the fact they might not know better.

I disagree with that entirely. I think the mass majority know exactly what "premium", "catagory killer", and other buzz terms mean.

The problem is there's no qualification to label something with the term, just the same as there's no qualification to label chocolate milk as "extreme" and stick it in some flashy bottle, even though it's no different from the generic brand right next to it.

To quote a favorite movie of mine, "Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time."

The (majority of the) trouble isn't that people don't know what those terms mean. They'd just rather put "super quad premium" in front of every sales thread if it means a few more eyes take a peek in to look at the shit in the box marked guaranteed.

That's just my opinion though, maybe most sales thread authors are naive and really don't know what premium means. /shrug

sashas

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good question. Personally, I feel all two character .coms are premium simply because of their length. With three character .coms, many are premium but some (imo) simply dont make any sense and personally hold little or no value to me. As far as four character .coms - I couldnt be bothered unless they mean something and random letter (and number) combinations are not premium domain names.

I would rather have four random numbers than random letters. I would use the last four digits of my phone number, for example, to setup an online messaging center for myself, family members, and friends. That adds value to such a domain.

Im sure others can find value in random four-letter .coms, but I dont.

But to answer your question, I would call the domains you mention "premium" in most cases, but not generic.

And although I agree wifi dot com could be a category killer, by definition it is not. It is category-defining, however. When the domain allows me to walk out on my day job without regret, then it is a category killer. :smilewinkgrin:

Personally, I would want to base a business on a generic dictionary.com rather than a category killer. For instance, I would rather make a website on motorsports on the domain Extreme.com instead of MotorSports.com. From a branding perspective, category killer names don't make much sense.

Unless a 2L, 3L, 4L etc. name makes some sense, and/or is very brandable, I wouldn't choose such a name for my business either.

But then, I believe that a domainer, by definition, primarily makes money by selling domains to other end users - companies and people that might be interested in forming new entities, or rebrand existing ones.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The (majority of the) trouble isn't that people don't know what those terms mean. They'd just rather put "super quad premium" in front of every sales thread if it means a few more eyes take a peek in to look at the shit in the box marked guaranteed.

:rofl::thumb:

Salient

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Harley,

From the perspective of the seller, I agree with you. All the more reason we should have precisely defined representations for domain names.

I cant tell you how many times I have entered a thread with "premium" or "generic" in the title and been thoroughly disappointed with the sellers offering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators