Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Chargebacks : Need help from Business owners

asfas

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Quick question, since googling didn't make me any wiser : I'd like to know from people who run a business and accept online payments, how long after the purchase a payment is considered finalized and a chargeback is no longer possible ? I guess this might depend on the payment gateway.. Any help much appreciated.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With mine it is 90 days. I believe that is fairly standard.

Makis77

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
90 days.

I remember a scammer called LaHatte that used me and a custom mortgage plugin I've built and then applied a chargedback 89 days after sending paypal payment.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Μεγάλος μαλάκας ο LaHatte :D

Makis77

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Μεγάλος μαλάκας ο LaHatte :D
Σχεδόν 3 χρόνια πέρασαν κ δεν τον έχω ξεχάσει....
Να έχεις κ τη γυναίκα να γκρινιάζει για τα βράδυα που πέρασα με το μαλάκα στο skype.

http://www.linkedin.com/in/lahatte

asfas

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So 90 days it is. Thanks a lot.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the chargeback period varies from one country to another (for the consumer). In Europe I think it's more like 6 months.
I'd ask your processor what happens with foreign chargebacks after the initial 90 days.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've heard it be as high as 180 days.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It depends on the country the business is based in too, in asfas' case I imagine it's Greece. But I'd assume it mostly depends on the company used in processing the payment, ie VS, MC, Paypal, etc, those are the ones who determine those policies and they can vary from one company to another. I don't think the country where the customer disputing the charge lives should be that relevant. But those foreign transactions may have other deadlines and may be treated differently in some aspects of the sale by some payment processing companies

Having your payment reversed by anybody is most maddening especially since the payment processing cos (cc cos, Paypal, etc) will place the burden of proving it was wrong to do that on the seller, ie the business owner. I'm amazed to hear in some places it can be up to 6 mos, that's way too long. 90 days is the international de facto standard for most things like this

And yeah lol, bitcoin may be the cure for all ills one day, what bugs the hell out of me is its huge fluctuations either way, sometimes overnight. Like sometimes it's been @ $30 and quickly after it was @ just $0.20, that is nuts if a digital currency is ever to become widely adopted (some bars in NYC are already accepting BC, how appropriate, you're drunk and you're allowed to pay in BC on top of that, I just love it lmao...)

:loco:

I think the chargeback period varies from one country to another (for the consumer). In Europe I think it's more like 6 months. I'd ask your processor what happens with foreign chargebacks after the initial 90 days.

Last edited:

infinite

Level 2
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Depends on the merchant processor. I've heard of people initiating chargebacks on their credit cards up to 2 years after the transaction.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Credit card companies or banks should not allow such absurd time limits. 6 months would be more than enough and even then that's a lot. 90 days is more of the industry standard. But yes, as a buyer (the one who paid the money and can place a chargeback eventually) I'd like having such wide time frames but when I'm a seller it sucks to know the funds you received are not really yours to keep until 2 years have gone by

infinite

Level 2
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agreed, the industry needs more transparency overall from the processing side. It's extremely convoluted.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom