Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

cctld CIRA Election results

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wonder about that. From what I have found and seen, there was a big push for Zak to be voted in and we have a loud voice. Where were these other votes coming from? I wasn't able to see any other public push unless a registrar asked their customers to vote for someone specifically.

I am not in CA but can't resist chiming in. Would not call 137 votes a lot of votes, which I understand was all that was needed. Some people can get that many votes siimply from family, friends and a small bit of personal promotion.

It also seems judging by the high .ca member activity on DNF that this board alone should have been able to get a lot of votes. The fact it failed to do so must be embarassing to Adam and other members.

The apathy all Canadian domain owners have showed is really incredible and speaks wonders about both them and domainers in general.

Domain Summit 2024

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Apathy may be one reason, but the registration process just to vote and the voting process itself was quite involved. Merely owning a .ca does not automatically make one able to vote.

I had to complete a form and send in a copy of my ID. Then, once that was approved I was able to show support for a candidate. Then, after the show of support process was completed, we finally had a chance to vote for our favourite candidate(s)

This was the first time I participate in the voting process and I found it to be quite a pain.

And if it wasn't for forums like DNF, I probably would have just treated the CIRA election emails as spam and deleted them as soon as I got them, so regular Joe Owner or his technical guy probably did the same.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sure, no one got a lot of votes considering all the people who could have been eligible.

But with the big push here and from the DOAC for Zak, and seeing the votes come from that, it's surprising that two other candidates got more votes.

How were they able to do that?

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Apathy may be one reason, but the registration process just to vote and the voting process itself was quite involved. Merely owning a .ca does not automatically make one able to vote.

I had to complete a form and send in a copy of my ID. Then, once that was approved I was able to show support for a candidate. Then, after the show of support process was completed, we finally had a chance to vote for our favourite candidate(s)

This was the first time I participate in the voting process and I found it to be quite a pain.

And if it wasn't for forums like DNF, I probably would have just treated the CIRA election emails as spam and deleted them as soon as I got them, so regular Joe Owner or his technical guy probably did the same.

There should be a simple - one domain, one vote system.

CIRA should have a voting page on their site.
The registrant enters his domain name, which sends the registrant an email to his admin email with a key.
Registrant receives the key, goes back to CIRA with his domain & key, checks his candidate(s).
An "You have chosen ms. x, mr. t". CONFIRM button.
Done.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sure, no one got a lot of votes considering all the people who could have been eligible.

But with the big push here and from the DOAC for Zak, and seeing the votes come from that, it's surprising that two other candidates got more votes.

How were they able to do that?

First, the interests of the DOAC do not line up with those of every domainer, and as a second matter, CIRA tilts the process towards those it wishes to have on its board, so there is considerable amount of effort required to get through that.

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am surprised too that "others" were able to get more than Zak, even with so many supporting him. I agree with Adam about each allowed to vote for each domain under his/her Registrant profile. Very sad.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more the inner conspiracy theorist in me wonder how many throwaway .ca's were registered in and around election time.

Edit: And who those new registrants voted for

Last edited:

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Any way to get full accounting of votes from someone?

DOTCA

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more the inner conspiracy theorist in me wonder how many throwaway .ca's were registered in and around election time.

Too bad have to wait another year to raise this question at the AGM!!!

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
At the very least we have the right to know how they count the votes or who counts the votes... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom