Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Clear TM violation but.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
can a domain registrant still ask for 'out of pocket" expenses after a C&D type letter?

A free lance webmaster who'd worked for me in the past and didn't/does'nt know much at all about domains (except that I'm too deep in it and that some money can be made in this thing) called me yesteday asking advice about a "legal letter" that he'd received from a very well-known company re. a .biz name he'd registered; very close examples would be Microsoft.biz, Kodak.biz, etc. In this situation, can he still ask for the amount he'd spent on registration + transfer fees?

Domain Summit 2024

Donna Mahony

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I personally would never ask for anything. Nor would I respond to any unsolicited price requests with a dollar amount. The best way to respond to a C&D is to pass it on to one of the legal experts we are blessed with on this forum. I personally use the services of Howard Neu but they are all very good and experts in this field. Maybe not in this case, but in many cases, a legal expert could let you know the C&D sender has no right to take the name!!

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nor would I respond to any unsolicited price requests with a dollar amount.

Would it be the case if the inquiry/price request was for a highly generic name, such as cameras.com or flagstaff.info? If so, what do you do?

Donna Mahony

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All of my domains are hosted and in use so I simply reply that I am using the domain but would consider an offer.

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I notice that your domains take to a general search page with some pop-ups. Just wondering where the traffic would come from domains like:

CallSanta.org
ChristmasCountdown.com
GetEmailFromSanta.com
GetMailFromSanta.com

I'd doubt that there'd be any significant type-ins for these. But, in case there are what would be the source of income?

I apologize for getting off-topic :shy:

Donna Mahony

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The search engine page IS the source of income. Choosing the best of the domains you used as an example, here are the stats
ChristmasCountdown

Like most domainers I prefer type ins but lots of my traffic comes from links also

DryHeat

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the answers, Win.

If you don't mind I'd like PM you about my situation to seek your advice so that I may also get on the right track :)

Donna Mahony

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sure you can PM me. Always glad to help if/when I can

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators