Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

cctld Contacted by previous .ca owner - not nice

Status
Not open for further replies.

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If domain owners are bottom feeders, then so are land owners. There isn't much difference owning a piece of land that you hope will get developed or bought one day. Domain names are also similar to land in the fact that you never know which piece is going to sell and when, and for how much.

When I started this was a big risk, and after many years this has been an expensive investment. Many names still are risky.

If people are upset because I had the foresight and ballz to gamble on .ca domain names meaning something one day, then that is just too bad for them. You don't see me crying about having to pay a crazy price for a piece of land that someone bought for hardly nothing many years ago. Especially if it's for business.

No one should ever feel bad for having these domain names. It's just another piece of capital in a capitalist society.

With that said, I do think that CIRA should extend the safety period for people not renewing domain names. 30 days is not a lot, and it would be easy to accidentally lose names. I think they should have a 90 day period between no payment and loss of the domain name. They should issue an email requiring a response. If no response is given, a letter should be sent out.

I'm always afraid that I might screw up and lose a key name. That could be a very expensive mistake. I can see a company that isn't domain literate, or has a lot of names, losing an important name very easily.

Domain Summit 2024

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Even sillier is when two different people email you after a drop, both claiming to have been the previous owner...
I have always hoped this would happen to me once :cool:

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i ones got so pissedoff when dropped domain "by mistake", went on mailing pickuper with 150$ offer, he said domain will be on sale at sedo with 1500 reserve

fu'err..

nothing you can do here- gotto be angry at yourself for letting it drop

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe the best course is to not answer these emails in the first place.
EXACTLY. I never reply to rude email or legal threat. I *sometimes* reply to those with a stupid story (e.g. from some "poor students"), but still in a indifferently (try not to show my disdain) professional manner.

Premiumhosted

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me several times.

Sometimes it works out nicely and they buy it back for a nice little profit.

Daem0n

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest thing here is; deal with this like a business would with customer service. Domainers are running their own "business", so therefore treat this complaint as a business would. This means, being polite, explaining things and if the person can't deal with you, then cease communications. Don't be rude or antagonize them. If we (as domainers) want to be taken seriously at a business-level establishment of industry, then we must treat it as such.

On a side note - I had to laugh at the title of this thread ".ca owner - not nice"...only a Canadian could be that politically correct or diplomatic in explaining the situation haha.

Jacksplat

No time to chit-chat
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This has happened to me on occasion. My usual response is to tell them I bought this in auction and paid "such & such" a price (I claim what I feel I'd feel good with accepting given the caller is genuine). Often they don't continue, but sometimes they keep in touch. One fellow (recent) I gave it to him free (cost me a hundred or or so bucks 3 years ago) It's all good as it had low revenue and he had genuine use for him (good deed).

Another I was ready to give it up, and this was when I was leaving to western canada (in the hills even/no internet). When I got back to my inbox (one month later) he insulted me because I wasnt prompt in replying to his latest email. Said I wasnt a man because I left him hanging sorta crap. With that I simply told him to piss off.

There are other situations, but bottom line is when a domain is dropped it's quite clear. The new owner in fact is the owner and has all right (outside of tm issues etc). My only lenience to some characters happens to be my decent side. Jab at me and you can forget it all. Many people here may know me as someone who can disapear for spells. I know I piss off some. Only acception is when I promise to send money to close a deal I'll go to great lengths to be on time. Other than that..... I can't invest the time to go the distance.

Even some who had claimed tm on a domain were not willing to part with a "recovery fee" as I call it. I've never offered to sell a domain to a previous owner, but have appeared willing to trade off for my cost's incurred. To be honest, when I pick-up a new domain, I'd rather taste it for a while anyhow, so why sell it ?

Kevin

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.... don't think I was being too nice, it made crap revenue

Why do people want their crappy names back?
No one ever calls me about a good traffic/revenue name.
I always mention, not all domainers are the same, and often prove it by selling the name back cheap or even transfer it for free. I am trying to give us "cybersquatters" a good name.
Now go pistol whip someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom