Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Could I be sued?

ExR

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a few domains which consist of dictionary words. Mostly .co.uk/.uk ccTLDs but also a gTLD.

At present, they're all parked. However, I know there's many companies who trade using names similar to my domain names. Does this put me at greater risk of being sued?

FWIW I am in the UK.

Cheers

Domain summit 2024

noneisnone

Level 4
Reaction score
stop parking and add a simple contact us landing page thats what most people do especially for valuable domains to avoid headache

Siful Moni

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
IMO, If you are not holding any trademark names or you have dictionary word domain name. I don't see anything to worry about.

Just be fine and assess your domain price before it get sold at too low.

bhartzer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If they are dictionary words, and could be considered generic words, then you shouldn't have any thing to worry about. However, if you want to protect your domains, you may want to consider protecting them with DNProtect. In the unlikely event that you are sued or someone files a UDRP on the domain, then you are covered.

noneisnone

Level 4
Reaction score
@bhartzer generic words can be trademarked in specific fields and having the domain parked if one of the ads match what the trademark was filed for they can file a UDRP no ?

bhartzer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@bhartzer generic words can be trademarked in specific fields and having the domain parked if one of the ads match what the trademark was filed for they can file a UDRP no ?
Yes, dictionary words can be trademarked, I know of a few that do have trademarks. For example, "Target" (the retail store) would be an example of this. I would look to see if there are any current trademarks--and make sure, like @nonisnone mentioned, that any pages should not be ads.

poco

Level 1
Reaction score
Doesn't the trademark only cover one type of Industry?

nicole2020

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
As long as the domains are not sitting on trademarks, nothing is worried. If it has trademark, suggest stop parking to avoid some troubles.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators