Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Credit card processors (for domainers)

DomainEmpire.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
We get few random requests from customers who wishes to pay in advance by credit card for their desired domains and we've even a couple of them ready to leave us their card number to process manually.
Some of these people wishes to avoid escrow services (probably to save on fees) and don't wish to use PayPal (for unknown reasons).

What're the online credit card processsors who might allow us to process credit cards on behalf of our buyers considering we don't have an active website ? We're exclusively working through direct promotion with the assistance of external brokers, agents and public marketplaces apart being directly approached by multiple prospective buyers.

Please, list the ones where we might have a chance to get approved (if you know any) and let us know about their requirements in order to verify the legitimacy of our activity and of the related funds.
We might need to cash an average of $200k/year so we're often risking to lose some deals not being ready to meet our buyer expectations so I'm not caring too much about their setup cost and fees that we'll charge in advance on our quoted prices, thanks.

Reaction score
Stripe and 2checkout. However it you're going to be taking lots regularly it'd probably be best to get a merchant account with your local bank. They usually have an api interface you can use. It does involve paperwork and time but will be your cheapest option when it comes to fees and fraud protection.

DomainEmpire.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll start to evaluate them.
We're having some difficulties in geting this service by our local bank, this might be possible in the near future but we need a faster temp solution.

Reaction score
I feel your pain. 15 years ago I got a merchant account with my bank over the phone which they closed 5 years ago. Now they want last 5 years sales figures, profit projections etc and all kinds of paperwork. I just thought it might be different for other banks and other countries. Let us know what you go with and how easy it was.

DomainEmpire.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You got the point in full, most of the world banks are starting to increase the quantity of paperwork needed to demonstrate the legitimacy of all incoming payments and some of them don't understand in full the "domain business" so an online solution is our best option at the moment :)

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
haven't used them, but authorize.net has an all in one option

imo...

DomainEmpire.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'll have a look at authorize.net to compare all 3 services then, thanks.

Commerce

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Given the fraud online regarding domain names, you may be wise to avoid direct credit card transactions. Should the purchaser in the US invoke the consumer reg z rules (if memory serves a 6 month window to reverse a transaction), you might be out your money and the domain. I'm not sure how or if that applies to international sales via credit card, but probably worth doing a bit of homework to see how much exposure it may be for you.

- Commerce

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would agree with that sentiment. If people are serious about a purchase they should be willing to sign up to Escrow.com or a comparable venue such as DN.COM. The fee there is so small compared to the peace of mind it gives using their service. Its around 0.7% on larger transactions and never more than 1.5% AFAIK.

DomainEmpire.com

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Oh lol you're right, we weren't considering the fraud risk to be honest so it's much safer for us covering the Escrow fee and accepting exclusively deals through them or by PayPal where we've never experienced any issues so far but yes, we're aware of the small risk in this case too.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom