Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Do Diggs really work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had a site where I paid people here (in DNF$) for digging my site. I got several dozen diggs for the site.

Now, a few months later I haven't noticed any long-term benefits to al the diggs - only a short term boost in traffic.

Has anyone had any long term success with getting Diggs on their site(s)?

Domain summit 2024

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this thread.

I also like to know about Diggs and I wonder it is waste of time?

jinglepoint

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hahaha I know where and why this has struck you now.... See I already helped you! :p

In my opinion, digg, stumbleupon and for that matter any social bookmarking site, Atleast for now have algorithms set for just hot topics or topics which might be embraced by a gazillion users. If your article, site, or video does not fall into those two categories, you are either left with the initial jump in traffic - usually a few hundreds and then it dies down to that occasional visit they send.

Hot (Fresh) topics always have a higher priority. IMO

james2002: I think we might be wrong when we assume it is just waste of time, at least we got that initial traffic. But, I think if a we contribute something to the user community instead of just promoting our site/article, it will be well embraced and will get a lot of diggs, mixxes, reddits etc from users and hence show up in the top lists and hence drive traffic. (Well I say this, but all I have done everytime, is digg my site and then sit back and bi*ch about digg and reddit hehehe. MOst of my articles just have one digg.... and hmmm I guess you know who that is :p )

Last edited:

PeterMan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
actually it is all about volume... you need something that is hot, that is true, but you can't really "buy" diggs effectively, unless what you have to share is good enough to spread naturally after the initial influx of traffic... viral is the term... Like tell two friends, they tell two friends, and so on...

Some examples are the wedding dance down the aisle video and my personal fav United Breaks Guitars :)

Now these are both videos, but the same goes for websites, blogs, etc...

Designcrowd

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It depends on your topic - I certainly had lots of long term traffic from Digg

Regards

nattydomain

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think it helps to get you indexed and backlinks but thats about it....

dncsacnt

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think it also depends on the cotent of the site. For one of my site, it got a very high volume of return traffic.

Last edited by a moderator:

chimeara27

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i receive few traffics from digg and i think you will receive a lot if your content is more controversial and anyone will digg your post.

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day, the question is - Did you make money?

If no, then it's not working for you.

Mike Cruz

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
At the end of the day, the question is - Did you make money?

If no, then it's not working for you.

QFT...

I have had some long term success with digg, but nothing extraordinary.. Usually hot topics like the others have stated.

I believe it all depends on the content and niche.

wilfra

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I didn't read thread and I realize it is old but Digg and the other social bookmarking sites are all rigged. If you spend 20+ hours per week doing nothing but that you can drive some traffic, but no matter how interesting your submission if you don't have the right friends list and a huge IM buddy list of Diggers you have no chance of getting a lot of Digg's. All of the stories that hit the front page and/or get tons of Diggs are submitted by 'power digger' who submit tons of stories everyday and they are all friends with each other and Digg each others stories. The best you can hope for is one of these dudes see's your story and likes it and steals it and re-submit's it himself (which is how they get many of their submissions).

One thing these sites are great for is link building and getting sites or stories/articles indexed basically instantly. Google is constantly crawling every Digg submission, no matter how many Digg's it gets. Often times my Digg submission will initially rank higher than the article I submitted - the article usually overtakes it but it is great for a quick SEO pop, especially for breaking news and something that isn't competitive now but will be soon.

You can quickly add a link to a specific article on 10-20+ of these sites and if you are targeting something new - it will be very difficult for even huge sites to out-rank you because all Google see's is site A with 20 incoming links on a hot new topic and site B a huge, credible site but with only a couple of incoming links on that topic - Google will rank you higher.

I'm still #1 after a month for a competitive poker term that just emerged, on my personal blog, doing this. My blog is Alexa 2,000,000 and the sites I'm beating are Alexa 3,000-30,000 and rank 1st for everything they want to in poker. But they just don't have the link juice I do on this topic - due 100% to my twenty minute social bookmarking campaign.

Last edited:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've never noticed any long term steady traffic from one Digg. I have found that fresh content and Digging it as well will bring you steady (short-term for the one Digg) long term traffic. I wouldn't expect an article Dugg one year ago to bring me traffic today unless it was a hot topic and fresh content with people continually Digging it.

wilfra

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Basically by definition no submission to Digg is every going to get steady long term traffic, no matter how good or popular it is. It is a news site - people are only going to be clicking on and Digging stuff that is new. You will get the odd click from somebody doing a Digg search or from them finding your submission in Google - but I don't think anybody has ever claimed one submission could ever bring you steady long term traffic.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I never got any noticeable long term increase in traffic. There was a small boost when I paid for all the Diggs but the traffic went back down.

I'm seeing fewer than 5 referrals a month from Digg now (less than 1% of all the traffic). Any benefit is if some of these few referrals become regular visitors (and maybe buy something). We get far better consistent increases by just handing out cards at (relevant) events.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm seeing fewer than 5 referrals a month from Digg now (less than 1% of all the traffic).

If you constantly Digg your new products/articles, there won't be a long term increase in traffic from one Digg, but all combined. It could potentially be up to 5-10% of your traffic. I would suggest using FB share too.

We get far better consistent increases by just handing out cards at (relevant) events.

Nice, it seems that networking works in other areas as well...

mannoo2005

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
From my own affiliate marketing experiment, Digg work better with some niches more than others (EX. work with tech niche).
also, if you are in affiliate marketing, it works very well and you can benefit from its traffic for CPA (extremely more than selling some thing)..

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Social media marketing has never been about getting a long term increase in traffic. If you are lucky it will provide a short term boost in traffic. If you want to benefit from your efforts in the long term look at doing SEO.

nash2925

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I will tell a simple secret out of my experience,

Social Media sites are helpful in getting traffic for short time.
Content will turn your new users into loyal users
SEO will help you in converting loyal users to customers :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators