Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Domain Ownership Protection and Private Domain Registration

NadeemKhan90

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I currently have two domains with GoDaddy that I am looking to renew. Both come with "Domain Ownership Protection" and "Private Domain Registration."

Can anyone give me a clear explanation as to what these are and whether I really need them. If I do need them, is there a cheaper way to get them because they are currently charging me £20 ($26) for each domain.

Thanks,
Nadeem

Domain summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

there are other registrars that offer free domain privacy, but I if others offer domain ownership protection.
I suppose if you have a secure registrar, then your names should be secure too.

perhaps check those that have two factor authentication.

but I don't pay for any of those "added value" products.

imo...

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with Biggie. I reg with NameSilo and privacy and two factor authentication options are included in the $8.99 reg/renew/transfer price for .com

NadeemKhan90

Reaction score
Thanks both.

I have a .com and a .co.uk (United Kingdom) domain. Can anyone recommend a good place to transfer them too for a good price that have the above features? I had a look at NameSilo but they don't seem to have .co.uk domains.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sorry didn't know it was .co.uk
staff member @RobM might have some solutions for you when he comes online.

Reaction score
For uk domains the most reliable, in my opinion, are:
https://www.crazydomains.co.uk/
https://www.fasthosts.co.uk/

You can always use 123reg but I have found their system slow and a bit spammy
https://www.123-reg.co.uk/

I would avoid places like godaddy, enom etc but they do offer them. I find that non uk registrars (especially US based) don't really know how the uk registry is run and there are a lot of quirks a registrar has to be able to deal wtih.

Last edited:

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let me throw in the remark that Crazy domains are crazy annoying. You need written documents to facilitate a transfer out for example.

Reaction score
The only time you should be transferring a uk domain *out* of a registrar is if you get your own tag (and anyone with a few uks should as you don't need a registrar) :) However I've not heard that before. A lot of small uk users swear by them. Obviously I have had my own tag for many years so can only go by others' experiences. I have used the ones I mentioned a few times myself for checking control panels etc when I was thinking of becoming a public facing registrar and they all seemed functional.

Last edited:

Castion

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you sell a domain and the buyer dont want it at crazy it becomes a barrier to have to sign and scan documents. I know from experience

Reaction score
Well if that's the case for UK domains they should be reported to nominet. Scratch that from my list then.
The problem is that UK domains are messy. Nominet don't make anything easy because they are desperate that *someone* pays them £10+vat for a registrant transfer (yes it's not free for everyone unlike other extensions and you don't get an extra year included in that fee). So to do a full transfer out *somebody* has to pay. You can change tags for free - ie 'push' them to another registrar but all the registrant information remains. This causes problems for a lot of registrars as they can't ascertain ownership easily and, with the added nightmare of a useless GDPR system (I said that would happen), only nominet can see who actually owns a domain. As they are run by people who don't really know what they're doing on an archaic system and only want your money it can become fiddly.

Last edited:

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators