Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

news Ebola.com Is Way Too Cheap At $150k And Shultz Isn't Helping His Image With The Mr. Burns Look

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe its just me but when this crisis ends who exactly gives a crap again, sell it now while you can I say.

Is $150k cheap, maybe I give you that but its only cheap this moment, in the coming weeks it may be too much.

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Consider that after purchasing at $150k, the purchaser has to earn $150k in PROFIT, just to break even.

That's a tall order, for a domain name that is not inherently commercial in its nature.

I'm not saying it can't be done. But when you consider that the majority of the population probably could not intelligently explain what ebola is beyond "a virus", that they heard about on the news, it's investing in a brand name for what is essentially a medical journal, that is competing to become a recognized source of information, amidst numerous established medical journals.

Are there any stats or stories out there for what "exact name match" sites for past outbreaks/scares have yielded, revenue-wise, such as for H1N1, or SARS?

Wot

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It was sold for $200K I saw on another forum.

Maybe a few dollars out there for my EbolaVirusNews.com - been getting increasing traffic since putting the site up in July.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not exactly $200k in cash, the stock made up a vast majority of that and likely due to the fact he wasn't getting bigger cash offers from anywhere else and the company who bought it used stock instead speaks volumes too.

Or maybe he just really believed in them, who knows.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
TBH I thought it would be sold for a lot more (ebola.com). I read it was actually $200K in a combo of $50K cash and the rest in co stock, and the seller had intended to get $150,000 cash when he priced it, no doubt. I have no idea how promising that stock is but it took longer than I thought to be sold, and he should've gotten $150K cash without a problem. These diseases can become pandemics and this one is highly lethal. As a domainer I don't think you can go wrong with these names looking at this objectively, unless both the buyer really overpays and domains also start becoming less relevant so next time the virus gets the world's attention who owns the domain might be less important. A pharmaceutical co would certainly want it, generic domains for many illnesses/health conditions are owned by them mostly in the .com or .org, even in ccTLDs. Health organizations, governments, etc are also likely potential buyers of these domains

I still see H5N1 (avian or bird flu) related domains being traded, and unlike the H1N1 (swine flu) outbreak of 2009 that began in Mexico where that virus got later incorporated into our annual influenza vaccine, an avian flu vaccine hasn't been developed since the 2005 outbreak originating in SE Asia, making it still a significant threat should it make a comeback. But I saw many swine flu/H1N1 domains being sold for a lot in 2009. Even as serious as it was, SARS got somewhat less attention worldwide when in peaked in 2003 due to most cases coming from Hong Kong and affecting mostly Ontario in the Western world. Also, the number of domainers was much lower in 2003 and domains got less attention then

lobos

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's pretty obvious that the buyer wants to make even a bigger sale.
At his site at the botoom, the site is for sale.
BTW, I heard the buyer is related to a Marijuana company.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom