Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

eMail forward on a domain that is not forwarded... - answers needed ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I won't get into the *ahem* person who did this but someone decided to do a big marketing campaign for an organization I manage their website for - and made a big mistake that no one caught.

I have their site set up and hosted on, let's say, Domain1. But in all their advertising they used Domain2 - which is fine since Domain2 is a shortened and frequently used acronym for Domain1. The issue is that the person who did this marketing used Domain2 for the email address (instead of Domain1).

Is there a way to set up an email forward for Domain2 that forwards to Domain1? What are my other options? Can I set up a hosting account on Domain2 and have it forwards (though .htaccess or something?) to Domain1 so I can still have email addresses for Domain2?

Domain Summit 2024

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Forwarding the domain and forwarding the email address are 2 different things.
Email addresses have to be defined AFTER you setup the hosting. There are some domains have hosting but have NO email address.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know - and now you see my dilemma. :(

If I set up hosting for Domain2 then I can have the email forward but not the domain forward to the site.

If I don't have hosting I can keep the domain forward but no email hosting.

Johnn

Administrator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can set up email and hosting for the domain2 and forward the domain2 to domain1.

Make sure they fire the marketing guy/gal when you are done.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cPanel does it all :)

This should not be hard to fix at all.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have the domain pointed to the hosting account and have a meta tag to redirect (plus a message to click on the link if the redirect doesn't work).

I have the "wrong" email address now forwarded to the "correct" but I'm wondering about a catch-all now, the acronym may be accidentally typed in a lot.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cPanel gives you the ability to create a catch all and direct it anywhere you want.

I am pretty sure there is also a way to automatically forward any email to its counterpart on a different domain (i.e. if domain #1 is abc.com and domain #2 is def.com, [email protected] would automatically forward to [email protected]). It has been a while since I had to think about that, but if you look it shouldn't be too hard to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom