Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Five Skills That You Definitely Need To Be A Successful Domainer

Domain Author

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domaining is not just a business; it is an art. To master this art, you need to acquire certain skills that will help you sustain long-term and make it big into this business.
Here are five skill sets that you would need to become a Domainer:

1) The Right Mindset
The very first and important thing when entering this business is to adopt the right mindset. You need to start thinking in terms of targeting the end-users for your domain. You need to be focused, stay updated with what is hot and selling, and be ready to invest time and money.

2) Know what to buy
Buying the right domain name is the key to making it big in the domain business. Many people go on to buy all the wrong domains, ultimately ending up with no sale and losing large amount of money. To know what to buy, you need to know what sells and what sells well!!

3) Self appraise your domain name
You should analyze and self appraise your domain name, have a rough estimate of what your domain is worth and then proceed with pitching the offers to your potential customers. For self appraisal, the best thing to look at, is the past sales of related domains. dnpric.es is a great place to check out the past sales.

4) Know how to find potential end users for your domain
"Buying a good domain name is only five percent of the job done," as Adam said in an interview, and I totally agree. The bigger part of the job is to find the right buyer for your domain. The right buyer is always an end-user and that is what you should target. You may go for contacting the owners of the related domains. You may use the WhoIs database and extract Contact Information of your potential buyers.

5) The 'Art of Negotiation'
Undoubtedly, negotiation is an art. This is because it can have extreme consequences. If you do it properly, you may end up selling your domains at hefty prices whereas if done in the wrong way, there may be no deal at all and you may end up not making the sale. Negotiation skills may be developed only when you expose yourself to the market. Knowing who your buyer is, are they very interested in your domain, how important is the domain to their business, etc. may definitely help in better negotiation.

Domain summit 2024

apoteka

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Very nice post,but my problem no.1 is to find good domain name.Could you help me

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
good domain names are for sale everywhere apoteka. finding one you can afford is trickier tho.:)

apoteka

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes,I know that,but where can I find the good one.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes,I know that,but where can I find the good one.

you have to know what "the good one's are", before you can begin to look for them.

no sense looking at lists, when value isn't apparent.

for starters:
READ thru the domain for sale threads and domains wanted threads.
LOOK at what is being offered for sale, see what gets sold, and at what price.
READ what buyers are looking to purchase in the domains wanted threads, note how much they are willing to pay.

Go back 5-7 years to see the trends and category price increases, read about the predictions, the next big things ....and see what fizzled.
Good Luck!

Willox Perez

NameTreats Rep
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Those are 5 powerful skills you must have indeed! I would definitely stress out on the domain selection process, the better the domains are that you get the higher the chance you have of finding a good buyer. There has to be some type of metrics to hold that domain to before you purchase it.

In my case I always make sure to check:

#1 The Search Volume
- This tells me who well known the specific word/term is that I am purchasing.

#2 The Amount of Advertisers
- This shows you if there is money to be made in this term and if people are interested.

#3 The Age of the Domain
- The older the domain the credibility it has in the eyes of buyers as an aged domain has good value.

#4 The Number of Related Sites with Similar Term
- These are your potential end users you can reach out to. The more related sites the higher number of potential buyers you will have.

Of course these are not set in stone and you can always add more metrics and take some out. You will get a feel for it though the more you filter and research domain names. Also make sure to regularly look at past/recent sales. This will give you an idea of what is selling and what industries you should be focusing on.

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nice advice from all. but--
- i think age of domains matters to domainers- not so much to endusers @Willox Perez .

- @Biggie --problem is there is way too much reading domainers are told they must read and i find that even if i don't go read 1 day i'm behind and i might miss something important. it's very hard to choose the "right" readings and to not waste your time on others. this is a big problem for me with another domain forum which is also busy and all blogs you are sent to on a regular basis.

- @Domain Author -your #2) buy the right domain-- that's also hard and it's deciding what you should pay for it that you often get wrong. if you overpay you may not get your money back for months even 1 year sometimes.
--

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom