Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Godaddy blocks Whois info from Whois Service Providers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
About 2 days ago I checked a whois at DomainTools. The only information displayed was the registrants name and the domain residing server. Same thing happened yesterday. Curious, I checked the whois for some of my names. All my information was displayed including contact info.

As of today though, all my names display just a reg name and dns. Other Whois providers display the same standard. While Net Sol does the same, it doesn't block contact information from all whois providers. I suppose there could be any number of reasons why Godaddy is doing this. I guess its a strategy to draw traffic to Godaddy while protecting domain owner information in kind.

Godaddy seems to be taking a page from Google and Facebook. Is this good for the average domainer?

Domain summit 2024

gpmgroup

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is this good for the average domainer?

I think so.

There are serious issues with their scraping of WHOIS within European jurisdictions. Look at how DomainTools handles .co.uk and .eu domains. There are also associated issues with their scraping of web content - DomainTools for example - we've found them not to honour robot.txt directives.

There are a number of serious issues on associating domain ownership from more than a single WHOIS lookup at a given point in time.

Historical WHOIS for example should be authoritative and subject to various legal requirements. For example one of the main reasons for WHOIS privacy is the safety of the website owner especially for contentious subject matters. Most users are not even aware of scraper services like DomainTools and how they are combining the data they scrape, therefore what happens if a Women's Refuge Center registers a domain in their own name and then converts to privacy before the site goes live?

Another problem is aggregating of all the domains someone owns. For example the previous owner was bragging that he could determine new products before the official announcements from companies from newly registered domains. This sought of thing just casts the whole domain industry in a bad light.

taboo

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DomainTools will be out of business as soon as Verisign amends their TOS to forbid the reselling of user data to third party marketing operations.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DomainTools will be out of business as soon as Verisign amends their TOS to forbid the reselling of user data to third party marketing operations.
Isn't that already disallowed ?

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
that will seriously hamper sales i would imagine. just think of it, having to use so many different websites just to look up whois info...

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
that will seriously hamper sales i would imagine. just think of it, having to use so many different websites just to look up whois info...

Just use Godaddy Whois lookups so you have the GD 50% plus market share covered, plus the other registrars info too. That way you won't have to deal with smaller registrars not having access to Godaddy.

jessem

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I noticed this too on domaintools. It is a pain to have to go to GD everytime. Oh well. Domaintools new redesign probably wont help their popularity either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators