Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Good Price Per 500 Words???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SsZERO

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of inexperienced people charging "pennies" for content writing and just as many inexperienced content purchasers paying them for their work.

I myself charge $40 per 500 words and $75 per 1,000 for general writing assignments. My clients are companies and individuals who require top-notch written content that distinguishes their content from the masses. I also take on specialized work like copy writing, technical documentation, brochures, etc where I would quote the client based on the amount of work involved.

How much you charge really depends on your level of expertise and who you are seeking as a potential client.

Domain summit 2024

Krshna

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, we've been outsourcing to clients across the globe for "dirt cheap " prices ( a $ per 100 words). Some people conclude that since we charge cheap, that our content is also crap. I have had many clients that gave me article writing projects before for less than a third of the rate, even people that take up projects from here!! Here's something: You can read my entire post down here, JUST TO prove to yourself that i charge "dirt cheap" prices for grammatically perfect, informative and nice to read content- it IS possible folks.

You dont have to own Ford to design a good car. Just need to be a good engineer.:)

If my English is good, why would I pass on "crappy" work to my clients? I don't understand when clients say " I hope your writers have as good English as you do". Its their right to say whatever they want, but, hey, they seem to have thrown in a bucket of negativity even before we've started working!

Here's an example: What is the guarantee that an "experienced SEO writer, that has many unpublished waiting to be released books, yadda yadda" is not outsourcing their writing projects to writers based in India? I have seen bidding sites where ONE writer wins a project for about 5-8$ an article, and throws open a new bid the next day, outsourcing them to other people he/she has absolutely no idea about for less than half the price!

Now is the ultimate client so stupid as to have not thought about this before? Who is being taken for a ride?

Whenever we work with content projects with clients, we try and get the client to talk(interact) as much as possible about what they need. Unless the client is clear about their requirements, how can the content writer churn out the relevant article?

Chances that a client will like an article that is given off hand without any information of where/how it is going to be used, who the target is, what style they want the content in etc, is very very low. Clients tend to think that since they are paying, they have an upper edge. I have clients that pay me as low as $2.5 per 500 word article- Now why would i be so stupid? Well, the client interacts very, very well. There are no "inhibitions" in outsourcing to "indians" and he plays a good role in telling us how he wants them to be done. The truth is we enjoy working for such clients. Contrary to popular belief, money can influence the writer only to a certain extent. Well, I've looked through DNForums a lot, and have gone through almost EVERY single post over here regarding content. It's obvious that people are charging as high as 7-75 $ per article (sigh..:) ). But I still continue charging our standard $5 per article.

Content writing in my eyes is no more a business than selling handkerchiefs on a roadside market- Clients bargain till their heads blow apart - and content writers blow them all off every chance they get.

You can't really help it. This is the direct result of outsourcing.

A client from a "forward/developed" country will be charged atleast 300-400% more than anyone from a developing country like india would be.

Similarly, a content writer from a "developing country" like India is exploited in the most unbelievable way by clients from "developed countries" that know the tricks of the trade and how things work. I have had clients that "bargain" for 25 cents! They think we dont know what 25c looks like to someone from the West. Truth is , 25c is cheap change, and it sickens me to "bargain" for change with a miser. It equates to begging(in my light at least)

The irony of the entire thing is mind-blowing.

BTW, you might have noticed I have a "team" of writers. My team is not "virtual"- I personally know all the writers on my team, and have seen, interacted, spoken to and gone out for a beer with them on more than one occasion. We work as a team, not from an office(yet :) ),but from home. So you can put all your criticism to rest(at least regarding that point). Please let me know what you guys think.

Sorry for this long post, Just couldn't help retaliating like this. Guess i had to vent it out some time or the other. Sheesh. :)

robertsz

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am looking for a writer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Saddyweb

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Average cost that I pay is about 2 - 5 cents a word depending on the writer and the quality of their work. Rewrites are about 1 cent a word.
Can you suggest where can I find a good content writer who specializes in technology products

destinymatters

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hi,

< No solicitation of services allowed! >

Last edited by a moderator:

David.

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
so where is everyone getting their writers from?....

OrangeContent

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You usually get what you pay for. Sometimes people overcharge and their content is crap while others ask for more and their content is really good.

If you think you're a good writer and can do your job with a quicker turnaround time than other companies, feel free to charge 4 cents - 5 cents per word.

If you're new or inexperienced, I suggest gaining some experience by writing your own articles to put in your portfolio. You will then show a client what kind of skills you have through that portfolio and you've got a better chance of getting work.

salman1485

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When I was new then I used to charge $0.005 per word. After few months I moved to $0.01 per word. Soon I jumped to $0.02 per word and as of now I am charging $0.05 per word. It truly depends on your experience as the more experienced you are the more you understand client's brain.

Krshna

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree. Anyway, I see there are so many replies here, and I'm just wondering now:

Hurley, you must have completed at least a handful of content writing tasks by now. How much did you charge your clients and did it work? (or did they crib (or) squeal with joy?)

LOL !

Cheers!
Krshna

Jessica320

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think experience is a big factor in determining your rate. If you've gained enough clients to make as reference or can give good samples from varied topics, then you can demand a higher price. Right now I charge up to .05 per word with my writers (native English speakers).

First, concentrate on the output, because if your output is great clients will keep coming back and refer others to you.

incka

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Where do people go to get work? From look at get a freelancer and elance it looks like all projects are are less than a cent per word which I am not prepared to work at.

jm525

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Send my, pm, i work for you

anuj291

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well start low - gain some experience and when you think you are ready to take high end projects then price yourself accordingly.

Last edited:

domainsain

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a thread where i charge $3/100 words or $12/500 words, it's not even that expensive and the quality is immense!

domainsain

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
When I was new then I used to charge $0.005 per word. After few months I moved to $0.01 per word. Soon I jumped to $0.02 per word and as of now I am charging $0.05 per word. It truly depends on your experience as the more experienced you are the more you understand client's brain.

But do you get any business? You have no itrader....

Try offering your clients deals like me. I charge $3/100 words or $12/500 words

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My costs for an article depend on research required. if a client gives me an article that requires reading 20 websites to write 4 500 word articles, forget it.
People often negotiate deals for content then throw 5 more requirements into the mix. I know they are trying to trick me and ignore all further communication.
I do not trust a content hirer who needs to have me on Skype 24 hours a day. Why can't they decide what they want and communicate it?

bizcheers

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
depends on your subject, i usually do on elance which may cost you 15 usd per article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators