Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Hand Regged Domains: Worth it or not?

Domain summit 2024

icedude

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK, so if you sold 7 hand regged domains already then you know what this guy said is BS!

Every domain that is registered is a premium domain, because you most likely would have to pay more than the registration fee for it. Which makes it a premium!

Just keep this in mind:

90% of "domainers" just don't know what the hell they are talking about.

5% of domainers know the truth, but wont share it with you.

5% of domainers know the truth and try to tell you if you choose to listen.

Remember this also, almost EVERY domain was "hand registered" at some point. Keep that in mind. And, don't listen to the BS, do what works for you...

You could go around buying "4-prems" or whatever for $x,xxx+ but at the end of the day, you are left with only domainers to sell too, because most end users could give a sh*t about a domain being 4-prem, keyword this, or whatever.

asfas

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
7 sold handregs can't be total luck...

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's quite hard to sell handregs for good money. You say you've sold seven domains, that is great. But if they sold for $20 apiece I'm not sure it was worth the time and research, I don't know ;)
Personally I don't do handregs often anymore.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So, what are your thoughts? Is it better to save your money for a single premium domain instead of hand regging a large amount of names?

Hi

I suggest reading some of the threads posted here:

http://www.dnforum.com/f34/

as many have covered the same subject, from various perspectives.

Good Luck!

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@Dlevi
Let's say it takes you about 10 years to sell the 60 domains.
You will pay at least $4000 in renewals.

So you need to sell the domains at about $70 each plus:
your time to research the domains and register
your time to sell the domains
filling your taxes every year
+++ various other expenses and etc.
+PROFIT

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually, selling 7 domains out of 60 you handregged is a great achievement indeed. You started domaining about a year ago and although you don't mention if the ones sold were ccTLDs, the newest extensions, etc .... or the traditional com, net, org ?.... I find selling 7 out of 60 a great record. You didn't say if you sold them at good prices and that matters, and selling something you had handregged a short while earlier is the exception and not the norm (don't expect that streak to continue necessarily lol, sorry..... unless you have the best foresight in the industry you'll likely need to deal with the aftermarket or develop names to sell them well, but $1K is NOT needed to develop a domain, you can certainly do it for less)

You also sold those 7 without developing, that adds to the wow factor, I wonder if they were all bought by the same guy LOL ?.... Could it be he wasn't that experienced a domainer either ? (ie if bought by end users it's not as impressive as bought by domainers, and I'm assuming you got decent $ for each name) It is just that good domains simply aren't available for handreg anymore, they haven't been for many yrs, there are so many backorders for each of those, there are domain speculators who make a living out of watching this 24/7, some people do domaining f/t, etc... so it is rare a good domain will be found in a drop list. I am not taking away from what you were able to do... but I'd say lady luck was probably there lurking somewhere when you struck those sales ...

:)

Last edited:

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are still good domains you can find in drops... but... it's like searching for a needle in a haystack.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lets follow this general principle:

There are big companies and big players out there (HugeDomains, BuyDomains, etc..) who have each bought well over a million domains.. out of all those trial and error domains they know the bigger picture of what's worth buying and what isn't. Its possible to do very well with hand-regs. I bought one name for a college project.. completely on a whim years ago and recently sold it at auction for x,xxx.. needless to say I was quite shocked as it was never even a domain I intended to sell.. only to use for a 2 week long science project.. amazing others saw value in it too. So yes it is very possible. The frequency with which that happens in current drops would be scarce though.. as said if the metrics for that name were analyzed now it certainly would show value that was not there years ago.. so it all depends. But overall, you would probably find it a [negative] value venture overall.. but its all in the names and circumstances.. you may know something or caught on to something that most of the well-established domain investors and bigger companies don't know yet.

Puckerhuddle

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Remember this quote from from 1899
"Everything that can be invented has been invented"
Well we all know how that worked out, I think that new and meaningful possibilities to hand register names are created daily.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators