Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Hostgator Apparently Going Out Of Business - Alternatives?

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Last week Hostgator was down over for over 24 hours, which can happen, but the problem is that they continuously lied to customers about it. If you read their "network status" messages, during the entire outtage they claimed the problem was "resolved for all but a small number of customers". The last post admits it was an equipment failure and EVERYONE is down.

This week, support tickets are going completely unanswered, the final sign that a company is going out of business.

Can anyone recommend a good host with reasonable up time and actually answers support tickets?

Domain summit 2024

thehostdir

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks -- this is a good start, but these suggestions seem to be UK specific. I'm not against hosting outside the US, but if I do I want it to be in a country that doesn't share data easily with the US govt.

I came across : http://www.webhostinganswer.com/maj...ost-are-you-fed-up-with-eig-group-brands.html which is true today.

I already have hosting with providers listed by the author and truely this alternatives are worth a look.

If you are looking fo alternative web hosting provider you can check out below hosting providers I personal have my websites with :

Webhosting UK
Rshosting
Site 5

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was with them for over 6 years until they were sold to EIG last year. I tried to hang in there but there have been 4 major outages in the past year.

I just switched this past Sunday to LiquidWeb who has $100 off specials on Storm Server VPS and Dedicated. They also have 1 month free for shared hosting accounts for disgruntled customers coming from problematic hosts.

Both discounts you have to ask for via customer service after you sign up and purchase. Their customer support has been quick and outstanding.

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It all depends on what you are looking for. Dedicated server which includes management can be costly. We lease a server from Serverloft.com based in Germany with servers located in Germany and the USA. We plan to migrate our sites over the coming months to that server.

mark

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Last week Hostgator was down over for over 24 hours, which can happen, but the problem is that they continuously lied to customers about it. If you read their "network status" messages, during the entire outtage they claimed the problem was "resolved for all but a small number of customers". The last post admits it was an equipment failure and EVERYONE is down.

This week, support tickets are going completely unanswered, the final sign that a company is going out of business.

Can anyone recommend a good host with reasonable up time and actually answers support tickets?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have not had any major problems with them and have several domains hosted over there for years. I know they have more than 9 million+ domains that they are hosting at any given time so any outages, even short term, are going to result in massive number of calls which I imagine could overwhelm their customer service and their ability to handle customer support tickets. I did check on these hostgator outages at wikipedia and saw this posted:

2013 Service Outages[edit]
Since its acquisition by Endurance International, Hostgator has suffered an increased incidence of server outages and downtime. Notably, on August 2, 2013 and December 31st, 2013, Endurance International Group’s data center in Provo, Utah, experienced network outages that affected thousands of customers of Bluehost,[13] HostGator,[14] HostMonster and JustHost.[15][16][17][18]

April 2014 Blackout[edit]
During the afternoon of April 16, 2014, the data center in Provo, Utah experienced a networking issue that affected customers of HostGator, [19] HostMonster & Bluehost. [20] The issue was fully rectified only after 24 hours on April 17, 2014 11.35 AM.[21]

May 2014 Blackout[edit]
There was another outage on May 19th, 2014 that took nearly 9 hours to completely resolve. This problem occurred in their data center in Provo, Utah.[22]

Unless this becomes a monthly problem, I will be staying with them; none of the hosting services are perfect, and overall hostgator is one of the best in my opinion.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Go to WHT.us and find some great deals in domain hosting. Biggest domain hosting forum in the world.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was with them for over 6 years until they were sold to EIG last year. I tried to hang in there but there have been 4 major outages in the past year.

I just switched this past Sunday to LiquidWeb who has $100 off specials on Storm Server VPS and Dedicated. They also have 1 month free for shared hosting accounts for disgruntled customers coming from problematic hosts.

Both discounts you have to ask for via customer service after you sign up and purchase. Their customer support has been quick and outstanding.
I dumped them last year as well when they billed my credit card double what they should have billed. When I contacted them, they backed off half but would not accept any discounts at all for extending with them.

Apparently, and looking back, I guess it was a good thing I bailed.

g

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They bought BuyDomains several months back, EIGI's stock price has only been trending upward over the past year.

INVESTADOR

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I use hetzner.com server very powerful and nice support. Germany.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators