Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

How to fix / eliminate 404 errors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some of my sites are getting a significant amount of 404 errors - most likely from linking old pages.

Is it possible to set up something where all the 404s will be redirected to the splash page?

Is something like this advisable (say anti-spam measures)?

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
In your .htaccess file, put this line:

ErrorDocument 404 /index.html

where index.html is whatever file you want to direct to.

-Bob

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Using a simple text editor, you'll have to create a file called .htaccess. Then add the following into the file:

ErrorDocument 404 /index.html

This would redirect users to the home page. You can also add more redirects for other error codes, such as 400, 403 etc.

Then upload the file into the web site's main directory.

*Edit* Bob beat me to it. ;)

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Be careful. Not sure google likes that..

Why?

My main concern is people going to the site and getting the 404 thinking the site no longer exists (it is my wife's business) as opposed to just typing in / going to a wrong page?

Google not liking it may be an issue, too.

Also - how about global subdomain redirects?

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not saying to use it under no circumstances, but it is my impression that google likes to find a true 404. If I see a lot of 404's to a page that used to exist, I often create that page, as google and others frequently maintain it in their search results even if it's no longer a real page, or not linked to from your internal links. In addition, if you have too many pages with the same content, they will further penalize you. Meaning that if a good chunk of your traffic is being redirected from a non existent page to your home page (for example), it could appear as the same content on multiple pages.

Also: http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=93641

Cheers!

gckorn

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, Google actually provides a widget that you can install that suggests what might be the correct page on your site. See www.maine.info/festivalss.php (an erroneous page for which Google's widget itself has suggested the correct page, plus has given an internal search box).

For more info, see http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/08/make-your-404-pages-more-useful.html

Get the enhanced 404 widget here - http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=136085

You will need to to ensure that Custom error documents are available (and enabled) on your server, and you will need access to the relevant custom error document so that you can edit it.

gck

godolphin

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've got some 404's on pages of my Wordpress Blog. Is the process for it same? I do not have good web design knowledge, kindly help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators