1. Welcome to DNF.com™ - Domain Sales, Domain Forum, Domain Appraisals, Domain Registrars
    If you are new to domains and looking to buy, sell and learn about domains then you have come to the right place. DNForum is the largest domain name community on the internet and continues to grow every day. There are over 300,000 domainers on DNForum doing everything from buying domains, selling domains, learning about domains and discussing domains. Take a minute and Register.

How to fix / eliminate 404 errors?

Discussion in 'Website Development and Design Discussion' started by draggar, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
You must be a logged-in, registered member of this site to view further posts in this thread.
This thread is more than 180 days old.
  1. draggar

draggar þórr mjǫlnir Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    1:00 AM
    Some of my sites are getting a significant amount of 404 errors - most likely from linking old pages.

Is it possible to set up something where all the 404s will be redirected to the splash page?

Is something like this advisable (say anti-spam measures)?
  2. Bob

Bob Jedi Master DNFcollege.com Exclusive Member

Local Time:
    In your .htaccess file, put this line:

ErrorDocument 404 /index.html

where index.html is whatever file you want to direct to.

-Bob
  3. dodo1

dodo1 DNF Addict Exclusive Member

Local Time:
    7:00 AM
    Using a simple text editor, you'll have to create a file called .htaccess. Then add the following into the file:

ErrorDocument 404 /index.html

This would redirect users to the home page. You can also add more redirects for other error codes, such as 400, 403 etc.

Then upload the file into the web site's main directory.

*Edit* Bob beat me to it. ;)
  4. draggar

Local Time:
  5. south

south DNF Addict DNFcollege.com Exclusive Member

Local Time:
    Be careful. Not sure google likes that..
  6. dodo1

dodo1 DNF Addict Exclusive Member

Local Time:
    7:00 AM
    Why not? I haven't had any problems with it so far and the biggest websites use this or a similar method to avoid blank error pages, too.
  7. draggar

Local Time:
    Why?

My main concern is people going to the site and getting the 404 thinking the site no longer exists (it is my wife's business) as opposed to just typing in / going to a wrong page?

Google not liking it may be an issue, too.

Also - how about global subdomain redirects?
  8. south

south DNF Addict DNFcollege.com Exclusive Member

Local Time:
    Not saying to use it under no circumstances, but it is my impression that google likes to find a true 404. If I see a lot of 404's to a page that used to exist, I often create that page, as google and others frequently maintain it in their search results even if it's no longer a real page, or not linked to from your internal links. In addition, if you have too many pages with the same content, they will further penalize you. Meaning that if a good chunk of your traffic is being redirected from a non existent page to your home page (for example), it could appear as the same content on multiple pages.

Also: http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=93641

Cheers!
  9. gckorn

gckorn Platinum Member

Local Time:
    10:00 PM
    Well, Google actually provides a widget that you can install that suggests what might be the correct page on your site. See www.maine.info/festivalss.php (an erroneous page for which Google's widget itself has suggested the correct page, plus has given an internal search box).

For more info, see http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2008/08/make-your-404-pages-more-useful.html

Get the enhanced 404 widget here - http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=136085

You will need to to ensure that Custom error documents are available (and enabled) on your server, and you will need access to the relevant custom error document so that you can edit it.

gck
  10. dcristo

dcristo Exclusive Member

Local Time:
    True. Setting up a custom 404 page is best, and achieves the same purpose.
  11. godolphin

godolphin DNF Member DNFcollege.com Exclusive Member

Local Time:
    10:30 AM
    I've got some 404's on pages of my Wordpress Blog. Is the process for it same? I do not have good web design knowledge, kindly help.
Thread Status:
You must be a logged-in, registered member of this site to view further posts in this thread.
This thread is more than 180 days old.