Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

.Info vs Everything else

Will .Info Whip .Com?

• Definitely

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I do believe so

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I'm pretty sure it will

• Probably

• Maybe

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • No

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes, I like .info in terms of relevance. If the internet were being launched cold today and the choice was .info or .com - I'd go with .info too.

Its just I don't buy (without some kind of evidence) that the descriptiveness of .info can outweigh the actual established usage of .com

the problem of overspeculation in a newly launched namespace is the other hurdle.

I can see .info having a role with the smaller players on the net, and theres nothing wrong with that and there is still profit to be made from development and resale - but I can't see the larger companies paying the kind of vanity prices for .info's that they continue to pay in .com

T

Tee

Yes, the .com brand is very strong and I agree with you that .info will probably not fetch .com vanity prices, with the exception of maybe a few dozen generics, and even in those cases, the resell prices gotten will reflect todays economy/environment. I really do believe that while .com will remain the relative premo extension, getting more than the other extensions in general for the same name, that .info and to a lessor extent .biz (and the May surprise, .US), will lower resell prices across the board, if the resellers have any intentions of reselling. When all there was was .com, the geeky .net (which I do like) and the the nonprofity (buy hellaciously advertised) .org, yes, .commers could get pretty much what they wanted for .com. But with more choices, and more availability of potentially high profile extensions, will come a drop in what people can resell a name for. It's probably already happened, with the combined weight of all the crappy cc tlds being advertised as meaning something else.

You could say that .com is gold and everything else is chaff but isn't there some kind of logic to the idea that at one point, .com was gold and little else existed. Isn't that the best environment for a high priced .com resell? Doesn't anything less than that be as not good as that?

Doesn't the introduction of as of yet, admittedly unproven tlds, only hurt resell .com prices just because, and only because, there are other gtlds? Where before you had to sell the farm to get a .com, you could get a new tld for much less maybe even just the cost of registration. I suspect there are many who would do a cost benefit analyisis and say:

Ok, .com represents business on the internet however the name I want is being asked $75,000. Now I only have $10,000 but I could get an expensive loan. However, there is little guarantee I will make it and in fact many high profile sites that have done what I want to do have gone out of business, often in disgusting displays of lost capital, potential, hopes and dreams. And they were using .coms too oddly. Maybe I should focus on my stengths which is I believe to be a strong business model and a genuine care for my product and potential customers. I would like the .com because it is the highest profile extension but frankly, I simply can't afford it.

What If I use another extension (a new gtld or say, the rambunctious .US) and simply apply the time honored tradition of offering my customers a quaility product and service to develop my business? Could that work? Instead of a gimmick, what if I showed them the beef? Well, I will be saving huge dollars on the tld and this money could be used to develop a strong customer service and for advertising. It certainly doesn't seem that for all of .coms strength, that any advantage other than being associated with the notoriety of the meteoric rise and subsequent collapse of the internet economy is gained from using it in terms of being a success. Does it really say to customers, we are a serious business because we use .com?
Will the loss of the prestige of .com and .coms knowness be offset by my savings on the tld, my own beliefs that these gtlds could work and are being somewhat advertised and my goal of offering a qualty service and product for as long a time as I can. Who says .com is forever? Actually, it will be kind of challenging doing this. I believe it will say, we are not hype. We offer quality services.

Now how does this potential train of thought affect .com prices? If they are to be sold, they will have to in general be lowered, especially the second rate .coms because the market is no longer held hostage by a one (or three tld) tld world. Remember, .com is only huge because there was little else. It strength is built on association, unfairly gained (in a sense). While it is a strong brand, its really kind of flimsy in a sense if you remove the environment that gave it its strength. Maybe not right away but give it some time.....

LOL. Whatever. I think what you are saying in general is very fair safesys.

Thats what i meant about a 2 tier thing tee - if people can't afford the price being asked for the .com, then they wouldn't have been a customer in the first place.

The question is, will the companies that *can* afford the .com purchase and use .info in its place?

From my personal experience, the new tld's have had no impact on .com pricing or negotiations. Enquiries remain strong, sales remain strong and traffic remains strong - so i am basing what I'm saying on something solid - thats why if there is evidence of .info eroding .com I'd be genuinely be interested in seeing it.

T

Tee

I knew what you meant about two tier, I just disagreed about the potential hierarchy of it (lol).

Well, if .info is going to impact .com it will be a little while before we see it. I would bet in one year from now we will have a good idea one way of the other. This way all the names are out, hopefully the economy will be a little better (thats another thing I like about info - its positioned to grow up in an expanding positive economy potentially) and maybe some ok resales will have taken place and maybe a few attemopts at .info branding will have occured. Now if info can be branded, meaning some nonsensey word using the info extension can make a successful site, and I belive it can because of the associated strength of the relevance, then you have a double threat because you have brand and relevance where .com only really has brand, an extremely strong one true.

But blah blah, it will be interesting.

I don't think isolated successes in a noncom can really be called a threat - for every success in .info there will be literally thousands of successes in .com

But I do think that if .info is going to do anything, it will be with the small companies, the ones who currently are not really in the running to buy the .coms from resellers.

That would create a scenario that gives them a choice between a poorer .com or a better .info and its down to a judegment call (that would likely not be based on anything factual) and so could lead to some degree of .info takeup. But as those companies grow would they seek to join the bigger players? Who knows.

At least it keeps the domain industry interesting.

T

Tee

On the flip side, one could say, if these smaller businesses are having success with an extension inspite of the incredible strength of the .com brand, imagine if we, with our wonderful capital, put a little cash muscle behind the info extension. Could we make even more than we do with the equiv .com? Might it be cheaper? Could we greatly supplement our .com revenue with info? And if they could, how does it look to new business that may have some muscle going into it. Might they just say, skip the com captain, lets go with the info? Maybe not and who knows but yes, it is interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators