Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

IRS Bitcoin Guidelines released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From WIRED magazine:

Q-6: Does a taxpayer have gain or loss upon an exchange of virtual currency for
other property?
A-6: Yes. If the fair market value of property received in exchange for virtual currency
exceeds the taxpayer’s adjusted basis of the virtual currency, the taxpayer has taxable
gain. The taxpayer has a loss if the fair market value of the property received is less
than the adjusted basis of the virtual currency.

So under the IRS’s rules, if you bought a bitcoin for $10, and then used it to buy a 1 BTC television when bitcoin was trading at $600, you need to pay a capital gain tax on the $590 difference. In other words, you now need to keep track of the value of bitcoins, in U.S. dollars, both when you acquire them and when you spend them, and report the difference on your taxes.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it's not US currency how are they a party to the transaction is my question not that I use BTC nor have I ever spent any..

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it's not US currency how are they a party to the transaction is my question not that I use BTC nor have I ever spent any..

it's not legal tender, so exchanges are considered as "trades".

as such, when you trade, you have to capture value and document +/- gains/losses for that transaction.

I think that the concept

imo....

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Value is far too subjective unless you are dealing with quantified commodities, i.e. value of a domain name or a painting...it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it basically. Yes paintings can be appraised and insured and domain names can be appraised but it does not have an exact taxable value imho

Seems like some shaky ground they can lasso anyone they want with. Honestly the entire tax code is a broken concept I think, we need a flat tax duh! :cool:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Value is far too subjective unless you are dealing with quantified commodities,

the current 'value' would be based on "BTC index price" for that day.

say you bought dem coins at $500 per btc last month, then value went up to $800 per btc today.

if you traded those ciz-zoins today for goods or services.....you'd have to report $300 gain.

if you waited and traded them when value was $300, then you could report loss of $200.

at least that's my understanding...

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Obviously, I will be declaring all of my BTC transactions, totaling 0.00000000000000000000 BTC.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Obviously, I will be declaring all of my BTC transactions, totaling 0.00000000000000000000 BTC.
I hope the IRS computers will crash with an underflow error while processing your return :smilewinkgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators