Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

cctld Is it ok to lease a .ca domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Domain summit 2024

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Section 4.1g seems to cover leasing. From my take, it's ok if the other party would otherwise meet the requirements to own a .ca.

(g) not allow any third party to use or operate any Domain Name Registration registered in the name of the Registrant and not register any Domain Name as agent for, or on behalf of, any third party in any manner whatsoever, including without limiting the generality of the foregoing, for the purposes of lending, leasing, licensing or otherwise granting rights in such Domain Name Registration to any third party for monetary or non-monetary consideration, unless such third party: (i) otherwise qualifies under the applicable Registry PRP including without limitation CIRA’s Canadian Presence for Registrants which is located on CIRA’s website at www.cira.ca/assets/Documents/Legal/Registrants/CPR.pdf; or (ii) is an Affiliate of the Registrant. For this purpose, “third party” means any Person other than CIRA and the Registrant.

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Section 4.1g seems to cover leasing. From my take, it's ok if the other party would otherwise meet the requirements to own a .ca.

(g) not allow any third party to use or operate any Domain Name Registration registered in the name of the Registrant and not register any Domain Name as agent for, or on behalf of, any third party in any manner whatsoever, including without limiting the generality of the foregoing, for the purposes of lending, leasing, licensing or otherwise granting rights in such Domain Name Registration to any third party for monetary or non-monetary consideration, unless such third party: (i) otherwise qualifies under the applicable Registry PRP including without limitation CIRA’s Canadian Presence for Registrants which is located on CIRA’s website at www.cira.ca/assets/Documents/Legal/Registrants/CPR.pdf; or (ii) is an Affiliate of the Registrant. For this purpose, “third party” means any Person other than CIRA and the Registrant.

Good info

Puckerhuddle

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hugegrowth-Thanks for pointing that out. I read the document a while back and couldn't remember what section that was in.

I just had my first domaining anniversary. Registered my first domain name with the Google/Yola plan for free a year ago.

I really had no idea that domaining is as addictive as crack. Watch out for that free one.

jstewart

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
(g) not allow any third party to use or operate any Domain Name Registration registered in the name of the Registrant and not register any Domain Name as agent for, or on behalf of, any third party in any manner whatsoever, including without limiting the generality of the foregoing, for the purposes of lending, leasing, licensing or otherwise granting rights in such Domain Name Registration to any third party for monetary or non-monetary consideration, unless such third party: (i) otherwise qualifies under the applicable Registry PRP including without limitation CIRA’s Canadian Presence for Registrants which is located on CIRA’s website atwww.cira.ca/assets/Documents/Legal/Registrants/CPR.pdf; or (ii) is an Affiliate of the Registrant. For this purpose, “third party” means any Person other than CIRA and the Registrant.

Hey Hugegrowth,

My interpretation of this has always been that you CANNOT lease a .CA domain. Anyone other then CIRA and the registrant is considered a 3rd party.

Am I interpreting this wrong?

Thanks!
J

DanB

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can always draft a deal where the 3rd party is "an Affiliate of the Registrant"...

jstewart

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You can always draft a deal where the 3rd party is "an Affiliate of the Registrant"...

That may be true, but that's a pretty grey area and I don't think it is in the spirit of the agreement with CIRA, which at the end of the day is what will matter if a problem ever arises. It may be a loophole, but that doesn't lower the risk of an issue or being in wrong.

I must say, the wording for me is not entirely clear, but my interpretation is that you cannot lease. I hope someone proves me wrong!

Puckerhuddle

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It might be that the intent is to make sure that the .ca's stay in Canadian control. The wording may be structured so that their are no violations of free trade acts.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Read the part in the middle to the end, after: unless such third party:

there are two exceptions for the third party under (i) and (ii).

Someone tell me if I'm wrong, but if you are leasing say to another Canadian, you're ok.

jstewart

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Hugegrowth,

I missed that. I would agree with what you said, but would love clarification from CIRA on this. Just the fact they took steps to put this in concerns me, but from what I am reading...that seems like great news!

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The part that would make me nervous is - "not allow any third party to use or operate any Domain Name Registration registered in the name of the Registrant"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators