Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Is it possible to "oust" a trademark on a generic term?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
- I own a domain name which I picked up in TBR during the spring
- For those not involved in .ca domains, TBR is when expired names get released every Wednesday (stands for "To be released")
- I would consider the term to be a very generic - it is a dating related term, I would say equally generic to a phrase such as "blind date" or "dinner date"
- As I discovered after I registered the name, there is a registered trademark on this term, with wares specifically being that of "dating and introduction services"
- The domain name is currently being in a way that does not interfere with said trademark, and therefore is not in violation of it
- However, I question the legitimacy of the existence of this trademark. I don't think that one should have been granted on it
- A person who I believe to be the holder of this trademark phoned me in August and started threatening me, telling me he was going to call the police on me because I "stole" his domain name that he's had for 10 years... I haven't heard from him since then.
- What brought this up to me specifically today is that a recently decided case at WIPO ruled that while a trademark may exist on the term, the fact that it is generic can render such a trademark moot
- This specific case was for affinitycard.com and the contents of the decision may be found here: http://www.wipo.int/amc/en/domains/search/text.jsp?case=D2011-2270
- My question is, can I apply a similar defence to making use of a term which is, in my opinion, clearly a generic one?

I know I'll run into resistance while doing it... the question is, whether or not said resistance will end up working against me.

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!

Domain Summit 2024

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
im not a lawyer - but from what i have read, i think the use of the name plays a big part and also intent of the owner.

ie - if i owned apples,com and i sold apples (the fruit) im ok (or should be) - if i tried to sell any tech related services, software, computers, etc, id get my ass sued.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom