Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Is this a good strategy to follow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnatolia

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm using LongTail Pro. I look only for long tail keywords that are available as .com's, >1000 monthly searches (global) and >$1.00 CPC. I then go through and remove anything that has historical numbers ie. a year. I then go through the list and look for ones that stand out, and can potentially be used as a keyword within an article.

Once I have one I check the google top 10 results to see what kind of sites are up there. Any non-specific sites such as gumtree, directories, etc. If there's a few of them, I purchase the domain. I then am going to contract out article writing utilising my domain name (keyword) plus 2-3 related long tail keywords within the article. Plan is to have approximately 5 articles.

Is this a reasonably good plan? As an example I bought howdohybridcarswork.com - my domain can be said easily, can be used in an article. It gets 1300 monthly searches at 4.91 CPC. The article will also include 'electric cars' with 246000 at 5.42, and 'what is a hybrid car' with 2900 at 5.76.

I'm not finding a lot of results as my filters are quite high as I use 'exact' search only, which is why I feel the ones I have found have potential.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Domain summit 2024

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sounds good in theory, except you're missing one thing. You can have 100 unrelated sites or dominate by having 100 in the same niche.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
all i read is what you spent money on

how you gonna make money?

Magnatolia

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
David, thanks for the reply. If I believe there is good market potential for a niche then I will certainly consider the possibility. As an example I bought yourdiscountcars.com and discountcarssale.com

Biggie, not sure what you mean. The domains I buy are available as in just a reg fee plus I bought one or two products to save myself time. Don't believe in spending no money and making lots of money. It can be done, sure, but takes a lot more effort. I have a small list of products I want to buy but am not going to buy them unless I see money trickling in.

My plan is to locate affiliates, where possible, that relate to the topic of the article. And finding ads that relate to the topic of the niche site. For example I recently had an article sent through from a Fiverr writer regarding florida auto insurance. I have no idea on this topic so I researched 2-3 key claims he made in the article, all legit. I'm now in the process of looking for affiliates relating to florida auto insurance. With some SEO tweaking and optimization I can potentially get in the Google Top 20 (Top 10 preferred). If for whatever reason the site doesn't make residual income then I still have a fully setup site with traffic. Makes the domain ten times more sell-able.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Biggie, not sure what you mean. The domains I buy are available as in just a reg fee plus I bought one or two products to save myself time. Don't believe in spending no money and making lots of money. It can be done, sure, but takes a lot more effort. I have a small list of products I want to buy but am not going to buy them unless I see money trickling in.

My plan is to locate affiliates, where possible, that relate to the topic of the article. And finding ads that relate to the topic of the niche site. For example I recently had an article sent through from a Fiverr writer regarding florida auto insurance. I have no idea on this topic so I researched 2-3 key claims he made in the article, all legit. I'm now in the process of looking for affiliates relating to florida auto insurance. With some SEO tweaking and optimization I can potentially get in the Google Top 20 (Top 10 preferred). If for whatever reason the site doesn't make residual income then I still have a fully setup site with traffic. Makes the domain ten times more sell-able.

hope your plan works, but all i read is assumptions

assuming these "off niche, multi-word, hand-regged domains" will rank in top 20 with some seo tweaking.....and if nothing else you'll have a site with traffic.

where will this traffic come from if you don't rank and even if you do, there is no guarantee you will get any click thru's

traffic is worthless, if it doesn't convert and if it didn't convert, then that means you didn't get any residual income from your efforts.

is there a budget for this plan?

Magnatolia

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Biggie, but I think everything is assumptions. If it was anything else everyone would be rich. Although the more research you do into your assumption the greater the chance of success.

You learn from your mistakes. If a site doesn't rank well it won't get any traffic. So you revise the plan, maybe do more research into SEO and make some tweaks then check the results. Get some more backlinks. If nothing works then consider it a failed keyword, check the plan that was used to come up with that keyword and see if it was flawed. That's my plan.

Traffic is worthy if it can then be used to make the domain viable to a potential buyer, provided of course that you're generating relevant traffic.

I do plan to focus on backlinking as well. Wasn't going to originally but Traffic Travis provides a list of relevant places to obtain a backlink and provides their Page Authority and PR so you know you're getting a quality backlink.

Not a budget per se. I've paid $30 per month for access to a large list of PLR articles that I plan to rewrite and include public domain relevant pictures. Hosting fees plus the money I've already spent on general stuff like template, software etc.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Biggie, but I think everything is assumptions. If it was anything else everyone would be rich. Although the more research you do into your assumption the greater the chance of success.

You learn from your mistakes. If a site doesn't rank well it won't get any traffic. So you revise the plan, maybe do more research into SEO and make some tweaks then check the results. Get some more backlinks. If nothing works then consider it a failed keyword, check the plan that was used to come up with that keyword and see if it was flawed. That's my plan.

Traffic is worthy if it can then be used to make the domain viable to a potential buyer, provided of course that you're generating relevant traffic.

I do plan to focus on backlinking as well. Wasn't going to originally but Traffic Travis provides a list of relevant places to obtain a backlink and provides their Page Authority and PR so you know you're getting a quality backlink.

Not a budget per se. I've paid $30 per month for access to a large list of PLR articles that I plan to rewrite and include public domain relevant pictures. Hosting fees plus the money I've already spent on general stuff like template, software etc.

some areas you can assume, but you do so based on experience and probability of success.

experience can be your own or that of others and how successful they were, using similar plan

what i'm reading is a plan to re-distribute previously written content, while relying on TT to provide link sources that are "pre-qualified" by their own PA.

and this is being with "not a budget per se"

now i ain't trying to tell you how to manage your funds, but if you haven't done so already...

then i advise taking a look at total expenditures so far, and anticipated expenses to sustain the plan for each domain/site to it's completion date.

again, hope your plan works.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I would work on your design before paying for backlinks first, otherwise you're going to rank poorly due to it. I suggest using a StudioPress theme with Genesis framework and buying the developers version ($349 with coupon I believe) if you are going to develop more than 1 website. You don't want all websites sharing the same theme and they have about 50 themes to pick and choose from which are easily customizable. I would also suggest SEO pressor to help you get your target keyword density and help out with SEO on your articles.

Why do you keep mentioning this Travis guy? There is a lot better information on this forum and DNFCollege can help you out a lot more. Good stuff in there for beginners.

You paid too much for PLR articles ($30 PER MONTH?! You can get 6 decent unique articles for that or 1/4th a dedicated server!). I got 100,000 articles for $3 in any niche you could possibly think of. Be sure to buy The Best Spinner ($7 for 7 day trial and $77 each year thereafter).

Though, what you really want are PLR articles in your niche only, which you could have found a few hundred for $1-$3 as most PLR articles are garbage and you could rewrite them to be 100% unique and sound good (I have my writers make a “creativity tree” off of PLR articles and rewrite them focusing on 3 high paying keywords in my niche).

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would work on your design before paying for backlinks first, otherwise you're going to rank poorly due to it. I suggest using a StudioPress theme with Genesis framework and buying the developers version ($349 with coupon I believe) if you are going to develop more than 1 website. You don't want all websites sharing the same theme and they have about 50 themes to pick and choose from which are easily customizable. I would also suggest SEO pressor to help you get your target keyword density and help out with SEO on your articles.

Why do you keep mentioning this Travis guy? There is a lot better information on this forum and DNFCollege can help you out a lot more. Good stuff in there for beginners.

You paid too much for PLR articles ($30 PER MONTH?! You can get 6 decent unique articles for that or 1/4th a dedicated server!). I got 100,000 articles for $3 in any niche you could possibly think of. Be sure to buy The Best Spinner ($7 for 7 day trial and $77 each year thereafter).

Though, what you really want are PLR articles in your niche only, which you could have found a few hundred for $1-$3 as most PLR articles are garbage and you could rewrite them to be 100% unique and sound good (I have my writers make a “creativity tree” off of PLR articles and rewrite them focusing on 3 high paying keywords in my niche).

gee willa-kers

$349 with a coupon

$7 for 7 day trial and $77 a year after

instead of domaining, i should be selling crap like that!

i put up a mini w/3 pages, with hand reg name and paid $25 for a banner w/logo

wrote my own content in notepad using basic html and meta tags

site has been on 1st page of G since launch 3/2010

total expense $32.50

total stats: (ad cents)

Page views Clicks Page CTR CPC Page RPM Estimated earnings
1,422 127 8.93% $0.50 $44.85 $63.78

3 word domain, exact match 22 cpc $1.52

small profits, yeah....but very small investment

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That comes with about 50 SEO optimized themes that can be practically 100% customized. If you're good, you can pack WordPress with the plugins and most options already setup together and deploy the script in 1 minute. Copy and paste 5 articles, insert a logo and you're done with 1 site in 10 minutes tops.

Your method may be good for one to three domains a day,but try setting up 30 WordPress blogs in an 8 hour day.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That comes with about 50 SEO optimized themes that can be practically 100% customized. If you're good, you can pack WordPress with the plugins and most options already setup together and deploy the script in 1 minute. Copy and paste 5 articles, insert a logo and you're done with 1 site in 10 minutes tops.

Your method may be good for one to three domains a day,but try setting up 30 WordPress blogs in an 8 hour day.

David, that's all good if you got dough to throw ;)

but for those on a budget and no idea of how it will turn out,

i was only trying to detail a low cost method to get to same end point.

Magnatolia

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks David for the advice. Travis is the name of the software I was referring to. It provides SEO tips and keyword tips, as well as keyword harvesting (and checking the exact match domains are available) which is essentially what Long Tail Keyword Pro does, except it's free. Also provides a few other things including Page Rank, which isn't working fantastic at the moment though.

I'm a bit wary about buying 100,000 articles at a really cheap price. I did this once and never got what I payed for. $30/month is actually pretty decent provided you're utilising it well. Gets me 150 downloads per day. Even if I paid $1 per article that's $150/day. And you can search within the contents, sure you could do that through Windows but it would take forever. However, if you're willing to recommend a site that offers mass quantity articles across multiple niches for pennies then I would be grateful as most PLR sites offer about 10-50 articles for $5-$10.

Biggie, thanks for sharing that. Curious, what did you use to ensure your site ranked highly? There's a lot of strategies out there. I have a site that ranks #2 on Yahoo and Bing but nowhere as yet on Google.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators