Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed Closed

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just picked this domain up off a fellow DNFer yesterday. I've already received the contract from NJ to be in a featured auction. I would be interested in hearing your opinions on its auction value. Thanks.

ERCollins

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would guess auction might bring you $1500-2500 unless you actually find someone named Jean that wants it.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would guess auction might bring you $1500-2500 unless you actually find someone named Jean that wants it.

I appreciate the response. Maybe I'm being a bit optimistic with my expectations. :p

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
best to try and sell to an individual named 'jean'.

imo...

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
best to try and sell to an individual named 'jean'.

imo...

I decided to go with NameJet because they successfully auctioned off Jean.com for $50,000 in February, which is now listed with Sedo for $300,000.

ERCollins

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I decided to go with NameJet because they successfully auctioned off Jean.com for $50,000 in February, which is now listed with Sedo for $300,000.

I can tell you two weeks ago in a drop auction Ram.net sold for $2,375 and it had 100 bidders on it.

If Jean.com is valued at $50k which is the most recent sale of the domain, your best hopes are usually 10% for the dot net and my thoughts is $5k would be high end user value for this domain. As a reseller I likely wouldn't offer over $1,200 for the domain but everyone is different.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

that one of the fallacies of domaining

when one assumes that:
since venue 'A' sold domainexample.com for X amount, then the lower level extension has same potential.

Good Luck!

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can tell you two weeks ago in a drop auction Ram.net sold for $2,375 and it had 100 bidders on it.

If Jean.com is valued at $50k which is the most recent sale of the domain, your best hopes are usually 10% for the dot net and my thoughts is $5k would be high end user value for this domain. As a reseller I likely wouldn't offer over $1,200 for the domain but everyone is different.

I completely understand your point. Let's hope this is an odd-ball auction, similar to the one for Matt.net.

that one of the fallacies of domaining

when one assumes that:
since venue 'A' sold domainexample.com for X amount, then the lower level extension has same potential.

Good Luck!

I wasn't intentionally saying that the .net has value because of the .com. I was simply suggesting that the platform has performed well for a similar name. :p

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jean is just about the most common male name in French if not the most common, so potential is big. Jean is also a woman's name in English but far less common. I'd say expect $,$$$, possibly in the middle. Ask for $10K if you want but not more, and don't restrict bids or offers to be only above $5K. See if you get any. We've all heard the rule of thumb the .net version of a domain should sell for 10% of the .com, and it's not that far off in fact. But if you focus on it being the most common male name in French you got a big pool of buyers. Domainers will offer less than $5K of course, but you want an end user for this one. And I even bet some male domainers on DNF have Jean as their 1st name if they're francophones lol. Pay attention to your listing on Sedo, they have rich international buyers who may want it. All n all, good pick you made, good luck

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Jean is just about the most common male name in French if not the most common, so potential is big. Jean is also a woman's name in English but far less common. I'd say expect $,$$$, possibly in the middle. Ask for $10K if you want but not more, and don't restrict bids or offers to be only above $5K. See if you get any. We've all heard the rule of thumb the .net version of a domain should sell for 10% of the .com, and it's not that far off in fact. But if you focus on it being the most common male name in French you got a big pool of buyers. Domainers will offer less than $5K of course, but you want an end user for this one. And I even bet some male domainers on DNF have Jean as their 1st name if they're francophones lol. Pay attention to your listing on Sedo, they have rich international buyers who may want it. All n all, good pick you made, good luck

Thanks for the post and insight. :D

I currently have the domain in a NameJet auction and it is currently being promoted as a Hot Pick.

I expect $4,000-$6,000.

Only time will tell though.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

zzzkkk

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
expect round 2-3k, if higher sell it with a big smile

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The reason why I said mid-hi $,$$$ and not to take anything less than $5K is that Jean means John in French, and afaik it's the most common name for males in the French language. France, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Haiti, many African countries have French as one of its official languages, so do other countries including So Pacific islands. Some posters may not realize this fact and assume Jean as a female name in English is not that common. We have to look at the French-speaking world for this one. I would not be surprised if the OP got an offer for $10K from someone who wants it.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jean is actually an extremely common woman's name in the UK. It is also the acronym for a well-known body, Japan Environmental Action Network (that turns up a healthy number of searches on Google), as well as a town in Nevada and a programming language.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
expect round 2-3k, if higher sell it with a big smile

Thanks for your input. :)

The reason why I said mid-hi $,$$$ and not to take anything less than $5K is that Jean means John in French, and afaik it's the most common name for males in the French language. France, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Haiti, many African countries have French as one of its official languages, so do other countries including So Pacific islands. Some posters may not realize this fact and assume Jean as a female name in English is not that common. We have to look at the French-speaking world for this one. I would not be surprised if the OP got an offer for $10K from someone who wants it.

I definitely agree with you. This name failed at auction for whatever reason but I'm confident that an enduser will come around and it will net me a nice profit. Thanks!

Jean is actually an extremely common woman's name in the UK. It is also the acronym for a well-known body, Japan Environmental Action Network (that turns up a healthy number of searches on Google), as well as a town in Nevada and a programming language.

I did not know that! Thanks for the information. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom