Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

LifeHacker: What Do I Do When Someone Has a Domain Name I Want?

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
By: Raymond Hackney Lifehacker did a question an answer piece for a reader who cannot get the domain they want. Dear Lifehacker, I’d really like to register the domain name for my last name, but it’s already taken. The frustrating part is that the person who owns the domain name doesn’t seem to be doing [More]

More...

DigiNames

DigiNames.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I often see people complain about others owning a domain name and not using it, and it bothers me that they call it "squatting" and think that they are entitled to the name even when it is generic. Just because you decided to start a plumbing company in 2014 doesn't mean you should be able to hand-register plumbingcompany.com in 2014. Even if the owner wasn't sitting on it, it would have surely been registered by someone else long, long ago. Just because it isn't developed doesn't mean that the owner didn't pay a lot of money for it, or that they have no plans for the name.

That is like someone complaining about an empty lot that someone else owns on a prime street corner. Surely they should be able to claim that land for free and build their own office building on it because the owner isn't even using it! He is just squatting the land!! That is about how much sense this argument makes to me. I sometimes get $10 offers on names and they say something like "Well, I saw you are not using it".

I know I am preaching to the choir on DNF and that the people complaining are non-savvy members of the general public, but it is something that really irks me.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
how about.....offer more money?

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators