Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Managing Domain Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

bocajohnh

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Okay, assume I strive to make my fame and fortune as a domaineer, amassing a portfolio of hundreds or thousands of names. Noticing that there are a lot of very intelligent DNForums members that have gone ahead of me, I seek your advice.

Is there any one tool that allows you to manage hundreds of names? Think back to when you went from 10 names to 100. What did you do? I can't imagine I have to log onto every separate registrar or keep all the info in a big Excel spreadsheets or SQL database.

Do I just pick a favorite home, like godaddy, enom, etc. and transfer everything there? Is it as simple as "Try them all out and choose the one you like?" Are there bonuses at any place for consolidating all your names in one place?

Points to links that answered this in the past are also welcome.

Thanks.

Nameable

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you're regging all your domains new then yeah, pick one registrar and do it all there. If you plan to sell your names, pick a registrar that will allow you to "push" domains into others' accounts.

Being realistic about it, you will probably acquire domains from different people who ineveitably used different registrars, or will be catching drops via various registrars. Depending on how fast you buy domains you will drive yourself crazy trying to consolidate. I spent a few days a while back and wrote some scripts to track it all for myself in a sql db. Prior to that I used a spreadsheet.

If I wind up with a domain at a registrar that absolutely sucks (the majority IMHO) I move to one of my favorites when I can. But try not to sweat it... as long as you can update your details and lock the domain, you're fine.

My advice is to keep track in whatever way is easiest for you. Once you're organized, stay organized. If you spend a little time each week recording your acquisitions and deleting your sales you should be fine.

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Personally, I have large concentrations at four major registrars. Then there are the scattered ones that haven't been transferred and come from purchasing, snaps and pool drops.

Spreadsheets are great for sorting and searching. But when you get past a few hundred domains, it does get tedious and hard to keep it all straight. There is a software product that does exactly what you are describing, but the name escapes me right now. It's MyPortfolio, or something like that. If it's really important, I could find out for you.

WebCat

petertdavis

Don't be afraid to see...
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm using a spreadsheet. I have almost a hundred now, but the problem I have is that I'm buying about 25% off people, and it's always a new registrar. I must have a dozen registrar accounts now, and I keep losing track of how to log in, LOL.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am highly skilled in using excel spreadsheets. And, I use them heavily to keep
track of the couple domains that I own.

However, the major foundation of my domain business is Enom.

I have 1/2 dozen reseller accts that I put them in. Plus, I created one
Enom acct specifically to transfer the domains that I do not plan to renew.

In that way, they are not automatically renewed by Enom.

I have seen a couple scripts/programs that offer to keep your domains organized.
But, have never heard anyone mention a success story.

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What you need is "Watch My Domains Pro" from Softnik Technologies.

- Best Wishes,

Jarred

DeCal

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I tried my hardest to only use Enom as my main but then found it cheaper to stay with UKReg for my .co.uk's and i use Enom for everything else.

rjerina

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
does godaddy have free push?

opportunitymagic

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yeppers, free push using godaddy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom