Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Microsoft launches typo patrol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm not in total disagreement with you. Typo squatting is difficult to defend...in certain cultures. In the U.S. it's difficult to defend the right to set up your tie rack on the sidewalk outside a men's clothing store owned by another person. But this is not true in every culture. Who's to say which is right? I hate to see one company establishing rules for a global marketplace. I too hope this will be an opt-in rather than a pre-existing feature.

Register for the auction

LeeRyder

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Well I dont know about other cultures and how they would view this :(Can only give from my perspective, unfortunately..

What you said about "Global Marketplace" though interests me....

If not "one company" setting these types of rules for the global market..then who? Uerid? the UN? Maybe the US or Chinese Govts?

personally, I choose Gates above all else to do this and let "others" (such as norton, macafee, spybot sd, Adware..et al) continue to plug the gaps as they can.

I think Microsoft is in the perfect position to take the reigns, because someone needs to. MS is 90% of the WWW/PC world.. so to me, it's just the logical choice since they can implement the rules from the getgo.

but again..thats just my perspective.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, at least the phsishing debate is now being held on the ground, where it always should have been held, instead of the ritualistic violence that has to date been perpetrated against IDN, which is in fact going to provide huge protection against phishing for those that have languages that are represented in non-latin scripts.

Mind you, if it is down to Microsoft, I think we are talking 2015, going by the current output rate!

demo

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it is a great idea and have already installed it. Requires IE and Windows XP.

anyone interested in xbcglobal.com - $299

taboo

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LeeRyder said:
I think Microsoft is in the perfect position to take the reigns, because someone needs to. MS is 90% of the WWW/PC world.. so to me, it's just the logical choice since they can implement the rules from the getgo.

Are you KIDDING?? Yes, let's give MS all the power to control how surfers view the net...

"www.google.com"

Sorry did you mean "search.msn.com"?

To learn more about "phishing" click here

This whole scheme is just devised to take action against Googles revenue stream from parked domains. It has nothing to do with MS protecting their customers, or even giving a rats ass about them. It is impossible to implement this correctly, and is obsurd to think one company can decide a general concensus for an individual consumer.

Take the frod.com example, and apply it to a legit service that offers a new toy called the frod. Now MS decides this is a typo of Ford, and redirects all frod traffic to ford. Who is phishing now? This is corporate domain hi-jacking, and will ammount to endless lawsuits from domain holders. If they install this into IE7 there will be hell to pay.

It simply shows how MS goes about their business. When Google wanted to come up with a solution for this they implemented the "Did You Mean?" portion of Google Search... When MS comes up with a solution it decides you need software to latch onto your web browser so it can extract information you type into your address bar to store into 17 online databases. This way it can display a pop-up asking you if you really want to do what you just did.

Sure this is great as an optional add-on that people can actively persue to download it if they so desire. However if someone is going about setting a new standard against typo domains, it should not be led by a company with one of the worste track records for user-controlability.

LeeRyder

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
so says the typo squatter...

But I stand by my statements, and have backed them with logic.

taboo

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most of my revenue is made from adsense and content building. Did you really get banned from NamePros? lol

LeeRyder

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
lol, glad you changed your post :p

Ya, banned from NP's lol. Odd being banned from a website. Its like being told your Not alowed to read such and such newspaper.

kinda one of those things where I overstepped my bounds, but think.. you know.. i was merely dishing back what was given. I prolly just overstepped though..too far.

lefties: "Bush are an XX"
me: "Lefties are an XX"
Lee=banned :p

taboo

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's cool, only reason I have an NP account is incase one of their newbs posts a 3 letter for 1k... Still waiting on that, but your better off on DNF for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom