Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Microsoft Scam

Status
Not open for further replies.

doc24

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great new scam now....A person calls and says they are with Microsoft and your computer sent a message and had crashed...They ask are you by a computer now?...Sign in etc etc so they can remote desktop it ...I said get lost you have the wrong number.

Looked up their phone number (630) 318-4762 and its a phone belonging to Ann Lupa

Obviously do not fall for this one...

Upvote 0

doc24

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perfect...Thanks Acro
Like people don't think we can track their numbers .....

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've had a few calls from various numbers in the past month (they say they are calling from Windows! LOL), sounds like a boiler room situation - you can hear hundreds of conversations in the background. I told him "I wasn't sure if my Comador 64 had windows", i also asked him if he needed my credit card upfront or should i just bend over while they screw me out of my life savings. I had him on the phone for a 10 minutes before he hung up. LMFAO

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
urlurl, next time mention your Amiga is down so your elderly wife can't check on something, or that you gave the Tandy to your grandson to play, I like your Commodore 64 line LMAO, and they do target senior citizens, normally they get their ph # from owning property in public records, but sometimes they call people like you and I at random ...oh... and also tell him to be patient w/you since the dial-up connection AOL gives you is a ripoff ... sometimes I enjoy playing games w/them, they must be calling thru a number located out of the country since telemarketing is now regulated even if when it is a legit deal, call screening, number blocking, etc also helps

Some of these schemes are clever, after the FCC curtailed much of this and developed a do-not-call registry for mainstream telemarketing, they've become more astute, they may have the actual call originate in Canada for ex, even overseas, but the person on the phone is actually in the US, not hard to do, and they engage in day-to-day chit chat to loosen you up, once a guy would tell me "God bless you and your family" a lot during the same call, he'd ask me if I was employed and he'd reply w/that quip if I said yes, and even if I had said I wasn't he'd still find a way to make it fit
:nod:

Last edited:

doc24

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would tell them the Commodore 64 definitely had windows because mine does, doesn't everyone's now ?

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just tell them I have a Mac. It confuses the hell out of them.

But it's scary how they can get away with this sort of thing. The simple act of calling somebody and asking them to do something with their computer is not illegal. Like most social engineering scams, catching people off guard is the name of the game.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
"Hello, Maxwell. This is Bob Costello of the Canadian Mounted Police. We have identified a virus in your computer and we need you to access your domain registrar account for evidence. Yes, copy and paste the username and password in an email and send it to [email protected]"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators