Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

** .mobi Investors and Haters **

Status
Not open for further replies.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi

I hope none of the links above are your sites or have your affiliate codes in them.

If so, please remove them

Thanks

Nope! Those are actual mobile affiliate companies. I have NO links on them. They are NOT my sites. Though I subscribed to those affiliates. Not to worry. I wish that someone would have those in English... That would help us push our development and content.
If you understand Japanese, Chinese, or Korean, I HIGHLY recommend you getting an account set up with those accounts. Much better than sedo. Sorry sedo...

The only way to have fixed value in a .mobi is...... Cmon class we all know this.......Anyone....Anyone....That's right
Development

I agree. Im sitting in the front of this class!
DEVELOP, my dear friends, DEVELOP!

Hi Jonathan great post.

"There are 6 publishers that publish over 50 Mobile Website magazines supplying every information available about mobile websites and mobile phones and mobile businesses."

Can you provide details on the best magazines, if possible website addresses?

Cheers.

:plane:

Sure, if you could give me a day to get those links and names, Ill let you know. Please hold on a moment...:phone:

Domain Summit 2024

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.mobi is just another TLD.

I agree with this 90% of the way that .mobi is just another TLD, no different from the others. It contains no special abilities or technologies that can't be done in another TLD. However, there is one important concession that needs to be made. .Mobi is intented to be a BRAND. It is the only TLD that when typed in, the user should have an expectation of results differentiated from those of other TLDs. The user will expect that they will get results that are mobile-device compatible. That's what a brand is, a promise and expectation that is created and carried by a name.

In this regard, I have to admit that there is some small potential that the mobile domain community could be successful in establishing this brand in the publics consiousness. I don't think the chances are good, but I do think there is a chance.

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.mobi is just another TLD. There should be no need for anything except for what's already there, COM/NET/ORG/BIZ/INFO etc.

A developer can detect the device accessing the domain and redirect or present content specific to the device. Hence, a cellphone need not access domain.mobi when there is domain.com

Sorry folks, you've been duped into yet another keyword pool, nothing else.

You forgot to mention, .WEIRD. :clown:

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It does suck if you arent in the .mobi business.
So far, my mobi sites with mobile affiliates are pulling in $20/month in Japan.

:flypig:

if i say mobi sucks- its means mobi sucks! okay

i am in all businesses, regardless my interest in mobi, my last *premium mobis* like glamourmodel.mobi , soshelp.mobi (premium multi business names)- wasn't sold to the respectful mobilovers tru ebay !

so it's sucks , thats it

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

i am in all businesses, regardless my interest in mobi, my last *premium mobis* like glamourmodel.mobi , soshelp.mobi (premium multi business names)- wasn't sold to the respectful mobilovers tru ebay !

so it's sucks , thats it

I think you got some good names! But using ebay at this moment would be a little too early, dont you think? I dont think the general public knows about this. I havent sold mine yet and I had a few Sedo people request to buy my 321.mobi for $200. but then i received an offer for $3,000 later the next month. I think it just takes time.
I understand your point. If .mobi was a dog and your dog peed on your carpet, I think you would be mad at your dog. Just gotta be patient. But if you think it sucks regardlessly, then I would buy your .mobis for $30 each. Too cheap? hahaha! just keep holding on to them. Just like Christmas!!!
:santa: Ho, ho, ho...

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I havent sold mine yet and I had a few Sedo people request to buy my 321.mobi for $200. Just like Christmas!!!
:santa: Ho, ho, ho...

you are pathetic mobilover, started all this crappy mobi thread even before selling any mobis?!

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If .mobi was a dog and your dog peed on your carpet, I think you would be mad at your dog.

Dogs aren't supposed to pee on the carpet? Guess that explains why people have stopped coming over. I'll have to teach her to go on the bed like the kid does.

Buying .mobi now is probably a bit like buying a penny stock. You get them cheap and theirs a small chance they could be worth a lot more in the future. I have a hard time understanding why existing companies will spend the money to brand a new extension when it's not necessary. I can see that a few are doing it, but I don't really understand what they are getting from it. Eventually it dawns on companies that they are spending money for no value, and they stop doing it.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So....will there be any further logical discussion in this thread? Any thoughts on my concern above:

I have a hard time understanding why existing companies will spend the money to brand a new extension when it's not necessary. I can see that a few are doing it, but I don't really understand what they are getting from it. Eventually it dawns on companies that they are spending money for no value, and they stop doing it.

I don't mean for it to be a statement of fact, but rather a point of discussion.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Some of the magazines and publishers as i promised:

http://www.e-hon.ne.jp/bec/SE/List?dcode=05&ccode=12&scode=18&listcnt=0&Genre_id=051218
( a whole list of mobile phone magazines)

http://www.asahi.com/ad/clients/mnp/mnp_03.html

http://www.rittor-music.co.jp/hp/sbm/k/

Also, a video of the flipping through those magazine pages:
http://www.youtube.com/p.swf?video_...SWCM/2.jpg&t=OEgsToPDskLwUbuCEj3v9cduz0l0gLYO

anyways, you get my point that there are a lot of mobile phone magazines and publishers in Japan...

So....will there be any further logical discussion in this thread? Any thoughts on my concern above:

I don't mean for it to be a statement of fact, but rather a point of discussion.

I agree. Companies pay a lot of money for those names. But it sounds "cool" as a lot of Japanese companies say. It is a status, pride, whatever you may call it. but they want it.
Another point to have .mobi is that in those magazines that i have listed above, inside those magazines, there are thousands upon thousands of mobile website companies with their QRcodes and mobile URL. The QRcodes are useful, but sometimes its just easier to enter the URL in the phone. Take a look at some of the URLs that are advertised in these magazines (sold at stores like 7/11, CircleK, bookstores, etc.): and moderator, these are NOT my sites. just samples...

RPG games:
http://homepage2.nifty.com/cava-room/index.htm
Puzzle games:
http://www.interq.or.jp/earth/mark/isc/index.html
Music:
http://www.sn-y.net/chakumelo/imode/
etc. you get my point...It would take years for the user to enter in the URL to their phone. So by at least having SOME extension that relates to mobile phones would help mobile businesses in Japan get to their users.

And to make a point on how technologically advanced Japan is, take a look at the list of the mobile phones that are presented to the public almost every month!
http://plusd.itmedia.co.jp/mobile/databox/
(site is slow. and in Japanese but there are pictures)

As for advertisements in the trains, here are some pictures of inside of a train somewhere in Japan. This is the BEST place to advertise to users than TV since they have nothing to do inside the trains except fiddle with their mobile phones and access the mobile internet:
1. http://www.nurs.or.jp/~ogochan/photo/TokyoNazo/SGI.jpg
2. http://www.amelia.ne.jp/user/reading/image/miss_27a.jpg
3. http://dejikameiroiro.cocolog-nifty.com/wakokazuko/images/P1080708_thumb.JPG

So you can see there is a lot of advertisment. And do you think if someone sees: http://www.sn-y.net/chakumelo/imode/ would they access it? No! Unless they are very bored or if they see another advertisement with my .mobi, uta.mobi (uta means "music" in japanese), i think they would access it cause, then again, it looks new and cool.

I hope that this was informative. If you have any doubts, debates :boxing: , questions, whatever, I will be here! :music:

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a hard time understanding why existing companies will spend the money to brand a new extension when it's not necessary. I can see that a few are doing it, but I don't really understand what they are getting from it. Eventually it dawns on companies that they are spending money for no value, and they stop doing it.

because they want people to visit their mobile sites, and .mobi tells people quickly that it is a mobile website.

if many companies start doing it then it becomes the thing to do to stay current.

if they do end up getting value for their money, they will keep doing it.

.mobi sites will help announce to the average person in north america that mobile internet is here - gotta get a new cellphone that accesses the internet, gotta see these cool mobile websites, gotta go mobile - it's part hype, part cool, part new, all designed to promote the mobile internet and a new way to reach people.

in the past why has everyone been so desperate to have a .com domain for their website when a .ws, .cc, .net, .biz would do the same thing for them? Because people relate best to .com with internet.

.mobi is being made into the extension to have for mobile internet. not saying it is a slam dunk to success but this is what I think the intent is.

touchring

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Key is whether phones makers will default the tld to .mobi, and whether providers start using .mobi.

MobileDesigner

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Key is whether phones makers will default the tld to .mobi, and whether providers start using .mobi.

I have spoken with some people at Vodafone and they said that it would default to .mobi, but it was just hear-say. Nothing is written, so it could simply be a rumor. Or, could be true!

Vodafone in Japan (now Softbank) loves to control the users. Nokias in Japan can only download .sis applications from Nokia-approved sites. Even with bluetooth, you still wont be able to install the .sis application. You can take apart the .sis file, but the common user has no idea how to do that. But as for the other carriers in Japan, I dont see that they will. But it may be the common thing to do (access .mobi only).

As for the providers, Im sure they will. But then they would have to re-advertise their product which could cost a lot. So I guess we can say that .mobi is most likely for undeveloped or soon to be developed mobile website companies. If the established mobile website company wants to be the top, they would purchase the .mobi name regardless of the price. Again, I am speaking on the behalf of Japan. I would like to hear others!

:grouphug:

mjnels

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

so it's sucks , thats it

LOL!

premium .mobi's.....

GlamourModel.mobi SOShelp.mobi.... hehehehehehe

you cant help but laugh inside a little at "cute" comments like this.... so childish and simple.. " I COULDNT SELL MY CRAPPY MOBI'S ON EBAY SO THE EXTENTION SUCKS"

:noidea:

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the magazine links Jonathon really appreciate your effort.

:pop2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom