Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

mod_rewrite problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am having some problems with mod_rewrite.

If you know (really know) the mod_rewrite syntax well, then there's 500 DNF$ for answering a few questions for me...

... post below if you think you can help!

PS. The 500 DNF$ will only be donated if your solution actually works when I apply it!

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I need to know how to restrict the mod_rewrite rules only to the root folder.

I have a multiply domain hosted on the same package in which all the "addon" domains reside in sub-directories of the primary domain. But because the mod_rewrite is on the primary domain, it also applies to all my "addon" sites as well.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr.Domains said:
PS. The 500 DNF$ will only be donated if your solution actually works when I apply it!

Put an .htaccess file in the root folder of each subdomain with
RewriteEngine off

:approve:

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr.Domains said:
I am having some problems with mod_rewrite.

If you know (really know) the mod_rewrite syntax well, then there's 500 DNF$ for answering a few questions for me...

... post below if you think you can help!

Any idea when I can expect my F$?

brp

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
damn tres you beat me to it :|

Would have been the easiest F$500 i would have made :(

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
tres said:
Any idea when I can expect my F$?

This is not a very workable solution! I already have 30+ add-on sites in this account, and I am adding more each week. I shouldn't need to turn the RewriteEngine off for each one.

With the mod_rewrite syntax it must be possible to specify the domain somehow like:

RewriteRule ^*.nametycoon.com/(.*)/index.html $1.nametycoon.com/list.php?Category=$2 [L,NC]

This is the sort of solution I am looking for...

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr.Domains said:
This is not a very workable solution! I already have 30+ add-on sites in this account, and I am adding more each week. I shouldn't need to turn the RewriteEngine off for each one.

With the mod_rewrite syntax it must be possible to specify the domain somehow like:

RewriteRule ^*.nametycoon.com/(.*)/index.html $1.nametycoon.com/list.php?Category=$2 [L,NC]

This is the sort of solution I am looking for...

You didn't ask for a soultion you liked, you asked for one that worked. I know why the above sample is not working for you but you'll have to pay me the f$ first. I would have given it free but you seem like the type of guy who would loose a bet and then not pay.

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
tres said:
...but you seem like the type of guy who would loose a bet and then not pay.

What?!? I have a trader rating of 42 and you have a trader rating of 3, and you say that "I seem like the type of guy who would loose a bet and then not pay"? And this wasn't even a bet, anyway! I was offering 500 F$ for someone who understands mod_rewrite to give me 5 minutes of their time, not for some opportunist to try to rip me off with a "trick" answer.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr.Domains said:
What?!? I have a trader rating of 42 and you have a trader rating of 3
BFD. You asked for :

[quote="Mr.Domains]I need to know how to restrict the mod_rewrite rules only to the root folder.[/quote]

You didn't like the answer because it was easy. That doesn't make it a trick. It makes it good. Your pissed at yourself for not seeing the asnwer, otherwise you would have replied to my PM. I would have give you the answer for free if you had aksed for help but you offerred to pay.

Did you find a way to make your rules work? Let's see em.

kodeking

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
tres, if you offered 500 DNF$ for someone to make a logo for you and the first person posted a one pixel image, would you expect to have to pay them the DNF$ even though it wouldn't be a great image for you? Based on your thoughts you would have to.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
kodeking said:
tres, if you offered 500 DNF$ for someone to make a logo for you and the first person posted a one pixel image, would you expect to have to pay them the DNF$ even though it wouldn't be a great image for you? Based on your thoughts you would have to.

BS, were not talking about a pixel. Were talking about knowledge.

I think he used my solution but won't pay because it was so easy. If he wanted a different solution he would have posted more information / questions. If you notice, there were several day between my posted solution and ANY response.

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, I haven't "used your solution" because it wasn't a solution. If it had been workable then of course I would have paid for it the same as I have paid the other 49 people in my trader rating history.

And kodeking, thanks for posting a useful analagy. I am not going to pay for a solution which requires me to turn off the mod_rewrite engine for every other domain on my server rather that actually fixing the one domain with a problem.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr.Domains said:
I am not going to pay for a solution which requires me to turn off the mod_rewrite engine for every other domain on my server rather that actually fixing the one domain with a problem.
I think if you really (still) needed a solution you would have responded to my PM. If you understood how mod_rewrite works you'd know there are two ways to do this. I gave you an easy solution.

I've setup dozens of websites with mod_rewrite and know exactly what your problem is. Post your .htaccess file.

Mr.Domains said:
And kodeking, thanks for posting a useful analagy
Hows this, you spend two hours trying to fix your car and finaly give up and go to a mechanic. The mechanic looks under the hood and realizes you've crossed the plug wires, corrects your mistake and charges you $5. You get embarrassed, then get made and tell him, That's not what I wanted!...

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you had "looked under the hood" and found an easy solution then I would have gladly given you $5, (and will still give $5 to anyone who can fix it)...

... but if the mechanic says "I see the problem, your car doesn't work, so you'll have to get out and push it where ever you want to go!" I don't think you'd be giving him anything!

To tell me that my mod_rewrite syntax doesn't work, so instead of fixing it I should go round to every domain on the server turning the mod_rewrite engine off is not a solution, it's a band aid, and not even a workable one.

Oh and I don't respond to your PMs because you are firmly on my list of "people to avoid doing business with". Anyone who makes unsubstantiation comments like "you seem like the type of guy who would loose a bet and then not pay" without any provocation is clearly a bit of a "loose canon".

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr.Domains said:
Oh and I don't respond to your PMs because you are firmly on my list of "people to avoid doing business with". Anyone who makes unsubstantiation comments like "you seem like the type of guy who would loose a bet and then not pay" without any provocation is clearly a bit of a "loose canon".

Your so full of BS. I PM'd you first and you ignored me so I posted here. Like I said before, if you (still) needed a fix you would have responded, even if it was to say it didn't work. So much for "honesty"

There is probably nothing wrong with your syntax but we will never know because you refuse to post it.

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm the guy who knows how to fix your mod_rewrite problem.

I've PM the most common solution to this problem. If it doesn't work, then you have an error in your syntax and you should follow up by PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators