Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

cctld Money.ca went for $25k. This is where I swear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FormerDnForumer

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Without knowing the traffic it gets, it's hard to say what you would use this domain for. Names like MutualFunds.ca, Bonds.ca, Stocks.ca would all have products to back up a site, Money is almost too generic.

Sorry but this is one of the most ridiculous statements I have seen on this board. Money.ca is too broad? Jesus. It's a fantasy name.

Anyway, I know the drill with these threads: The faithful will come in and defend the space because they have an interest in doing so.

About a year ago I thought I should have a look at the .ca space and see if it's matured at all from a speculative level. It has not. There is effectively no revenue stream and no aftermarket. Reporting two sales does not mean the "dry spell is over". It means two names sold...out of how many hundreds of thousands of .ca names.

I posted this thread to illustrate that how even the biggest .ca names have few people chasing them at the end of the day. Canada has a small population, traffic is too low to monetize, and therefore investors must be in for the long haul and with very low acquisition costs. There's a reason most of the biggest owners either got the names for reg fee or on drops.

I predict we will continue to see people dumping .ca's on this board for silly prices for months and perhaps years to come. Remember I have no interest in bashing .ca's as I have lots. It's just a little reality on a cold winter's day :)

Domain Summit 2024

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm just saying the word Money doesn't automatically point to a product or service. mutual fund does, chocolate does, vodka does - but Money could be used for a lot of things. Money.com is a CNN site, Money.net is a financial data streaming site, and Money.org is a Numismatic site - all different angles on money. I do agree it's a top name, it just doesn't point to a specific product or service.

I don't have blinders on about .ca, but on the other hand I just think your point of view is too harsh. To say the .ca market is a bust is a little much.

I'd agree that speculation hasn't increased in the last year. You do get a revenue stream from .ca if you do a little development, and by that I mean as little as a couple of hours of work on a webpage to get into search engines. I also wouldn't say there is no aftermarket, a lot of people here have posted they are getting regular enquiries on their .ca's. In the last three months of this year I've either seen posted in the forum, or heard of multiple x,xxx to low xx,xxx sales involving one or a small group of .ca domains. Most of these don't get published, and how many do we not hear of? Parking hundreds or thousands of .ca's usually won't cover reg fees.

The 'dry spell is over' from my blog post was referring to the lack of .ca sales reported in DNjournal's weekly sales report in recent weeks (or months).

I think this thread you started illustrates that if you have a top tier .ca, don't sell it before you offer it up in a public way to get a better price. It seems like many people were chasing money.ca, the owner just picked his buyer.

Canada's small population and restrictions on .ca ownership hurts the market for sure. With .com you have the world competing (billions of people), with .de .co.uk and .fr you have bigger populations competing. But the traffic isn't too low to monetize if you develop.

.ca right now does seem to be a medium to long term game, you have to make enough to hold on to your names, and make sure they have potential value. But the trends are in our favour, more internet use, more .ca in advertising, more people needing to build websites. We are still a country of almost 40 million people and in the big scheme of things it's early days for the internet, and earlier still for mobile internet.

I guess in the end I agree with some of your points but not all of them, IMO your outlook for .ca is more gloomy than I see it.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What someone needs to do is sit down with the most active trader of premium .ca in the reseller market the last X years and get his opinion on things. Real formal sit down, maybe a lunch or dinner, little dessert and drinks, put him up in a Hilton Hotel or fly him to BC and have a limo pick him up and do it there...

:whistle:

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure why the negative talk... the .ca space has never been intended to profit from in a reseller market. From a end user point of view it has been great. Sales are consistant and companies are buying more and more .ca's each year.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is effectively no revenue stream and no aftermarket.
traffic is too low to monetize

Sorry but these are some of the most ridiculous statements I have seen on this board.. ;)

If you depend solely on reselling then times are not so good. But for many of us .ca'ers we create our own markets and times are sorry to say - great! PPC is up, Canadians are buying online again in bigger than ever numbers and that will only grow into 2010. I also get 40% of my traffic coming from the United States - lack of traffic? Hardly! Not every end-user worth money is one buying a domain outright. We are leasing domains/websites and signing exclusive ad campaigns all the time - that's where the real money is today.

As for the top domains not attracting the big money - think about that. There are only so many people with that kind of money, time, initiative and will to buy for that much and then create something to make that money back. You are chasing a tiny market so you should expect few sales imo. When I do a cost-analysis for a project and see that a $1000 domain will do the same for me as a $25,000 one why would I spend that much? The website user doesn't care if it is a one word domain website or two. Neither do the search engines.

Sorry to hear some are having a less than fun time. :sigh2:

And I hope people keep dumping domains - I'll take'em and develop them thank you very much.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How do you go about leasing domains - do you have a site that lists your domains for lease, or do you just offer the option when approached by a potential buyer?

I've seen a few others doing this with .ca, particularly in real estate.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How do you go about leasing domains - do you have a site that lists your domains for lease, or do you just offer the option when approached by a potential buyer?

I've seen a few others doing this with .ca, particularly in real estate.

I always offer it immediately when dealing with a prospective buyer or advertiser.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I always offer it immediately when dealing with a prospective buyer or advertiser.

So it's your first option before selling then?

What price range can you usually lease a domain for? Do they point it to their own site or get you to build one for them?

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It seems like there is always some sort of drama with listed sales prices of names that aren't dotcom. Too many people have a vested interest in pumping. Apparently, Money.ca is worth tons more than 25K.......I don't trust any price listed anywhere.

Below are two .ca names listed this week. I guess I can't prove that Santa Claus doesn't exist, and I can't prove these aren't legit. But I know the answer to both questions. Someone plopped down almost 40K months ago so they could put up parking pages.....that's what they want you to think.

Of course, this is how it almost always is. When you see a headscratcher and try to do some token research the clues keep telling you it was a bullshit sale. Whatever the reason, these definitely aren't arm's length transactions, and I don't intend to prove it, so don't even try it. It is the same story every year. I guess the so-called seller just woke up one day months after a near 40K sale and decided to tell the world.

I am on the lookout for people husting their .ca names using these two listed sales as talking points. They won't ever get me.

From Dn Journal

Com had the most chart entries with 12. The ccTLDs also fared well taking six places on the elite list. Canada's .ca extension accounted for two of those country code leaders; #14 Boots.ca at $19,950 and #15 Suits.ca at $18,900. Those private sales were actually completed a few months ago but the seller, who is a personal acquaintance, just agreed to make the prices public for this first time this week.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Those sales were legit as far as I am concern. Queen Mother is a great lady and has no reason to lie.

try to do some token research the clues keep telling you it was a bullshit sale.

Do share, in fact I insist you share, I always point out what I think is wrong in situations like this as I did with money.ca. Now you are dragging boots and suits into this, name names and proof or at least why you think what you do.

FormerDnForumer

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Those sales were legit as far as I am concern. Queen Mother is a great lady and has no reason to lie.

Do share, in fact I insist you share, I always point out what I think is wrong in situations like this as I did with money.ca. Now you are dragging boots and suits into this, name names and proof or at least why you think what you do.

I am also not questioning those sales, but anyone can report a sale to DnJournal--as I have done many times--and there is no verification on lower sales. And anyone that reports a sale has their own agenda for doing so, especially if they are invested in that space. ;)

There are lots of reasons to reports sales, including ego, publicity, etc., but let's stop pretending that DnJournal is a reflection of anything. Many sales are unreported and just as many sales reported are bullshit. In fact, the entire sales charts of DnJournal reflect nothing at the end of the day. Most serious sales in any space sit under NDA's.

Last edited:

DropWizard.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am also not questioning those sales, but anyone can report a sale to DnJournal--as I have done many times--and there is no verification on lower sales. And anyone that reports a sale has their own agenda for doing so, especially if they are invested in that space. ;)

There are lots of reasons to reports sales, including ego, publicity, etc., but let's stop pretending that DnJournal is a reflection of anything. Many sales are unreported and just as many sales reported are bullshit. In fact, the entire sales charts of DnJournal reflect nothing at the end of the day. Most serious sales in any space sit under NDA's.

Wow. Definitely a cynic! I've reported many .ca sales to Ron over the years and he asks for a copy of the whois before and after for verification. All things considered, short of a notarized statement and maybe some bloodletting or torture to see if they're telling the truth, it's about all you can do in this industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom