Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

dynadot My Frustrating Experience With Dynadot!

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Dynadot.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was trying to transfer 53 domains from Dynadot to @robmonster's Epik last night.

As I have 2FA, it asked for my birthday, ok. Then it asked for my favorite drink (I believe, or that was later in the 'I lost my phone' stage), followed by a Google Authentication code in which I entered and then an SMS code in which I typed in.

I submitted it too late as the G Authentication code had expired by seconds once the SMS code was put in and the form was submitted.

As I have my phone and learned my lesson that the SMS code should be inputted first because the G Auth code has a 30-second timer on it, I requested another SMS code. This in turn locked my account at Dynadot.

I asked chat support about what I should do? Their answer was to report that I lost my phone—BUT I DIDN'T LOSE MY PHONE; I WAS JUST UNABLE TO RECEIVE A 2ND SMS TO TRY AGAIN!

As they said this happens all too often, the system is backward. They should have the SMS code in the first box and the G Auth code in the second box. That way, one would reasonably think to receive the SMS code and then enter the G Auth code to proceed to unlock domain(a). I'm sure it'd alleviate their two-day manual review process, as what I was quoted, to restore accounts.

They need to give chat support the ability to send an SMS to verify the phone still being in my possession (as I logged in with 2FA in the first place) and change the design of the form flow as I'm locked out for the weekend and possibly further into the week. Luckily only 1 domain is expiring, but, I can still transfer that out in 30 days.

I applaud them on hardening an account, but this is over the top. I can easily login with (A) 2FA and (B) get an SMS code at any time, relieving the need to put in a support ticket that I lost my phone when if I met (A) and (B), I am obviously in possession of my phone and my account can be unlocked with (A) to see my dashboard. Hell, add a 3rd counter-measure of a random secret answer or two out of 5 generic ones such as high school, maiden name, etc. (as I forgot what I put in as my favorite drink because it changes so often). But remove the necessity of submitting an 'I lost my phone' request when this isn't the case.

Domain summit 2024

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
...and of course, my secret answer was incorrect (I put in 4 drinks separated by commas).

1596422563999.png

They requested a photo ID.

I blacked out the photo, as they didn't require a photo to join, the passport number (as I don't find that necessary), and watermarked it all over "FOR DYNADOT USAGE ONLY".

Let's see if they unlock my account or not.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They also have the nerve to auto-renew domains while my intentions were to transfer all out to skip that.

As soon as it's in Epik, I'll do a reversal. It's only $8.99, but it's principle.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom