Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

New to domains need a bit of advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukemiller23

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am new to the domain industry and have found it very interesting and think it is somthing that I would like to have a go at as a second income (maybe my only income one day but one step at a time) I found out pretty quickly that you should stay away from copyright name's after buying michaeljacksonworld.com and thinking it must be worth quite a bit of money then getting it valued at low to mid £xx
I also have bought goldsupplies.co.uk and .org securityguard247.com and .co.uk I dont know if these names are any good if anyone could tell me that would be much appreciated.

Also I would like some advice on unregestered domains and expireing domains, can you still get a relly good domain that hasn't been regestered because no one has thought of it?And is it likely that you can get a good domain name when it expires without useing a domain dropping service because of the amount of domains expireing everyday I dont mean the big money domains but the ones worth £xx - £xxxx just by registering it the following day.

Any other advice would be much appreciated:cool:

Thanks Luke

Mr.Domains

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Also I would like some advice on unregestered domains and expireing domains, can you still get a relly good domain that hasn't been regestered because no one has thought of it?

It depends what you are looking for. You can still find good unregestered names for developing purposes, but probably not for parking, with natural type-in traffic. I develop most of my domains though, and always spend a couple of hours digging for unregistered domains when I come up with a new project idea. Here are just some of the names I have picked up for Reg Fee:

Bytmo.com
GamesDungeon.com
PicsHost.net
StonedChat.com
PageRankWorld.com
PageRankMarket.com
LyricsShack.com
Hosting-Reseller.org
PaymentChip.com

... not of these are going to make you any money from parking, but to develop, they are quite strong names...

lukemiller23

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys can anyone tell me about buying expired domains without a backorder service is it possible to get a good name to resell?

Thanks Luke

Krumble

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am still very new to domaining as well. I think as Mr. Domain stated, you can still find great hand reg names if you plan to develop the sites. From what I have gathered from a lot of members is that you should really have a plan for a site or a development strategy and then get the name. What I did in my first months is gather up a bunch of subpar names and then tried to fit in a development strategy with those names. Being a newcomer to domaining and developing I don't think gathering names and then developing is the best idea is it can be overwhelming.

For the purposes of buying a domain name for the sole purpose of reselling there are few names available to hand reg. Think of all the domainers and companies out there that are devoted to going through the drop lists to make sure anything with real value never gets freed up. That is not to say that you couldn't hand reg a drop and sell it down the line for a great profit because you never know what will be needed in the future. This is the speculation part of domaining which is something I lack the funding and time to research.

Like I stated at the beginning, I am new to this field and I can only tell you what I have gathered from these forums over the past months. The overwhelming point that keeps cropping up is that you need to be developing your sites because parking is not what it used to be and the great parking names are not available to be hand registered.

Regards,

Krumble

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys can anyone tell me about buying expired domains without a backorder service is it possible to get a good name to resell?

Thanks Luke

With expired names, I stick to: over 5 years old, a CPC (cost per click) of $1+, no numbers, and must be .com. There are good bargains dropping most days, and you can use a tools such as FreshDrop.net or DropDay.com to find them.

It's possible to resell these names quickly - I got one a couple of weeks ago from NameJet for $69, sold it the next day for $500. Before you start buying any names, do a lot of reading; blogs, articles etc. Start at domaining.com.

ezimedia

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With expired names, I stick to: over 5 years old, a CPC (cost per click) of $1+, no numbers, and must be .com. There are good bargains dropping most days, and you can use a tools such as FreshDrop.net or DropDay.com to find them.

It's possible to resell these names quickly - I got one a couple of weeks ago from NameJet for $69, sold it the next day for $500. Before you start buying any names, do a lot of reading; blogs, articles etc. Start at domaining.com.

I agree with the quotes above... read read and then read some more before you starting buying domains.. even if you find domain you can buy post them in the forum here before you buy them to see what people think and reply with... you will find most of the domains you will post people will say don't reg them and after a while you will know what is good and what is crap...

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
for newbs, aggregators = time wasters

read every thread posted here in beginners section

then read every thread in domains wanted section

then read every thread in domain sales section

then read all those threads in General Discussion

then read those appraisal threads

then write down a list of shiz-zit you don't understand or need clarity on

have a budget

find a mentor, someone with experience

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Best advice = Get out now while you still can!!! :pound: LOL

Quick tips...Go slow,Read,Ask,Quality over Quantity..., Don't drink and buy..lol,do not get creative,if it sounds/feels too good to be true (slow down or stop).

:welcome: :yo:

bdmunee

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

How is freshdrop lately? It used to be very slow and buggy. Dropday is good but I have waited for two days just for a reply to my support ticket and still nothing.

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How is freshdrop lately? It used to be very slow and buggy. Dropday is good but I have waited for two days just for a reply to my support ticket and still nothing.

I'm using DropDay too - does what I need for about $70/month less than FreshDrop

LazyTurtle

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Step awayyy from the 'buy' button. Within my first few months, I had reg'd $$$'s worth of domains and I can see now that 80% of those were absolute tosh.

Read as much as you can. Forum after forum, blog after blog. Research what other domains have sold at (dnsaleprice.com and dnjournal.com etc). Look on sedo et al, to see what domains are actually selling for.
Stay away from Estibot/Valuate etc.

I do believe that there are good names out there to be registered. I have a 4 page word doc full of half decent available names (6 to each line) that I plan to reg and sell, or develop over time. I suggest you do the same. Don't feel in such a rush to reg them as soon as you find them. Give yourself a few days (or weeks) to think about them. They'll most likely still be there (Don't come after me if they're not :smilewinkgrin: ).

Also, whilst there are people who make a killing selling .co.uk's - I don't have a great deal of faith in them. Dot Coms are where the money is, imo.

Good luck. It's a lot of fun :eek:k:

Last edited:

DaddyHalbucks

Domain Buyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am new to the domain industry and have found it very interesting and think it is somthing that I would like to have a go at as a second income (maybe my only income one day but one step at a time) I found out pretty quickly that you should stay away from copyright name's after buying michaeljacksonworld.com and thinking it must be worth quite a bit of money then getting it valued at low to mid £xx
I also have bought goldsupplies.co.uk and .org securityguard247.com and .co.uk I dont know if these names are any good if anyone could tell me that would be much appreciated.

Also I would like some advice on unregestered domains and expireing domains, can you still get a relly good domain that hasn't been regestered because no one has thought of it?And is it likely that you can get a good domain name when it expires without useing a domain dropping service because of the amount of domains expireing everyday I dont mean the big money domains but the ones worth £xx - £xxxx just by registering it the following day.

Any other advice would be much appreciated:cool:

Thanks Luke

You mean TRADEMARK --not copyright.

The most money to be made is by paying a little more money for quality domains. They can be sold at a premium, or held for income/ appreciation.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm using DropDay too - does what I need for about $70/month less than FreshDrop

lol

i wouldn't advise anyone to spend money on a "drop search" service, nor would i promote them for beginners.

it's wasted money.

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can I ask what you're using? NameCatch.com? Or just saved searches at specific drop catchers/auction houses?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can I ask what you're using? NameCatch.com? Or just saved searches at specific drop catchers/auction houses?

what is namecatch , another promo? :)

i use my eyes, instincts, and gut feelings

i read the lines and "in between the lines" of newpapers, magazines and other publications to get ideas

i even read the names of service vehicles that drive up and down city streets

then...

i plug keywords in expired lists and note names of interest

i research the numbers

then do more research

i budget, then i bid or register

then i hold and wait

:)

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, not another promo ;) just a site I've seen listed in different places.

I always find it useful to see how others buy their names - I usually get a few name ideas from newspapers/blogs too.

Before I'd even logged onto DNF this morning, I cancelled my DropDay subscription - I don't feel I need it anymore - going to try some different methods.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No, not another promo ;) just a site I've seen listed in different places.

I always find it useful to see how others buy their names - I usually get a few name ideas from newspapers/blogs too.

Before I'd even logged onto DNF this morning, I cancelled my DropDay subscription - I don't feel I need it anymore - going to try some different methods.

back in the day we used clickmojo, snapcheck, marketleap and a couple of others, but when everyone started going to a "pay for service" model, that killed it for us.

after ovt died, it really didn't make sense to pay anyone because the info was basically useless for our needs

A

allis

Step awayyy from the 'buy' button. Within my first few months, I had reg'd $$$'s worth of domains and I can see now that 80% of those were absolute tosh.

Read as much as you can. Forum after forum, blog after blog. Research what other domains have sold at (dnsaleprice.com and dnjournal.com etc). Look on sedo et al, to see what domains are actually selling for.
Stay away from Estibot/Valuate etc.

I do believe that there are good names out there to be registered. I have a 4 page word doc full of half decent available names (6 to each line) that I plan to reg and sell, or develop over time. I suggest you do the same. Don't feel in such a rush to reg them as soon as you find them. Give yourself a few days (or weeks) to think about them. They'll most likely still be there (Don't come after me if they're not :smilewinkgrin: ).

Also, whilst there are people who make a killing selling .co.uk's - I don't have a great deal of faith in them. Dot Coms are where the money is, imo.

Good luck. It's a lot of fun :eek:k:

hi LazyTurtle!

thanks for your comment.

please specify a bit more about why estibot is no good.

i had an automated appraisal from them that was about $200 for a domain that i haven't even yet developed.

would you mean to say that their appraisal is most likely not accurate?

thanks for any ideas anyone can offer on the subject!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators