Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Not Sure Where To Post This ...

ryanmlanane

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have been watching a trending conversion in the industry. I believe in my gut of all guts this is the next big thing. In fact .. I know it will be. I had the idea for Netflix but using JUST TV shows 3 years before it came out. My big ideas when I have them are always spot on. Capital is now an issue for me though.

Obviously kickstarter is a good place and it will be a matter of laying out the proper business plan and I do believe I will get the backing I need. This is not my issue. There is a 3 letter Gtld extension that would be an incredible asset to this business

Im aware applications are closed My first question is when will the next application period be ? My second question is how do I look fo a partner in a venture like this ? If I post the idea to kickstarter the Gtld will be snapped up and someone will e very very very wealthy for reading my campaign.

I want a way to find a potential investor for this new gTLD and negotiate terms. I understand it is not a smalll investment however I think any wise domain investor will see this as an entirely profitable investment. It is a multi billion dollar industry yet to transition fully to the online environment but will in the next 3-5 years. In fact there was a recent successfull trial

All that being said the industry is using this technology like wild fire RIGHT NOW. Just not in the manner I envision. Please write with any suggestions about how I could quietly approach investors.

Domain summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
invest in yourself, if you truly believe in your ideas

otherwise, keep them in your head.
as once you speak them, they may float to another.

the other side is:

no one wants to invest in a scheme
so....

imo...

Nathan King

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Lots of people saw internet TV coming...the main reason it took so long was resistance from the television industry who didn't want to give up control of distribution and open the market up to more competition (previously there was one cable company, and two satellite companies in the US). This backfired as piracy became rampant, and the industry finally accepted that entertainment over the internet was inevitable. Today the industry is more open, with Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon all offering streaming TV.

I agree with Biggie that it is best to invest in yourself. Continue to learn and grow.

Last edited:

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Having an idea for something is worth exactly zero. Does the first person who thinks of a flying car get any credit when it comes into fruition? Riding out in front of trends is a fools gambit. It sounds like from your description that it will be happening in a few years anyway. The real idea are the ones that start the trends. The successful ones are usually stolen directly from the initial floundering ones by people with money--not looking for partners. I would suggest that you execute whatever your vision is and get it up and going before taking on investors. Need money? Mortgage you house, Max your cards, skip rent, skip utilities. If it is a can't miss you will be golden. You need to prove it to yourself before anyone else is willing to put any of their money into it. Good luck.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Imagination: the only power that is unlimited.

Try to approach angel investors through Angel.co

ryanmlanane

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree ideas are meaningless. I also appreciate the honest and candid answers.

The main idea I am talking about here is secondary to my primary one so it is quite possible the primary one brings in enough cash to cover my costs. The flipside is I might find enough serious investors through the success of my first project. Both of which I have no doubt will be beyond what even I expect.

I should worry about my primary vision first then move to my secondary vision. After all my primary vision includes countless hours of research, no sleep, networking, and kissing asses lol .. The first project is actually the hardest. The second is just having the money.

Can I ask again, when will new domain extension applications be allowed ?

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree ideas are meaningless. I also appreciate the honest and candid answers.

The main idea I am talking about here is secondary to my primary one so it is quite possible the primary one brings in enough cash to cover my costs. The flipside is I might find enough serious investors through the success of my first project. Both of which I have no doubt will be beyond what even I expect.

I should worry about my primary vision first then move to my secondary vision. After all my primary vision includes countless hours of research, no sleep, networking, and kissing asses lol .. The first project is actually the hardest. The second is just having the money.

Can I ask again, when will new domain extension applications be allowed ?
Plan is to wait for two years to let the new ones roll out(remember not all the currently approved gtlds will even be launched by 2017) . Collect data and tweak process. Application then opens up again. After a period of time (12 months?) it closes and likely 2 years from close to launch (if this wave of gtlds is your guide) of the very first "new" gtlds. My guess is 2020 or so for that.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom