Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed NYDebtSolutions.com Value of abbrev. names like NYPlumbing.com vs NewYorkPlumbing.com

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tdn878

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I own the domain name NYDebtSolutions.com and this got me thinking about the value of abbreviated domain names vs non abbreviated domain names. I know something like NewYorkPlumbing.com is preferred over NYPlumbing.com, but what about for longer names?

Would a business prefer a domain name like NYDebtSolutions.com over NewYorkDebtSolutions.com? Sure one would get more search engine traffic than the other, however wouldn't NYDebtSolutions.com be seen as a more brandable name? What is your opinion on the value of such abbreviated names?

Last edited by a moderator:

James Davis

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree to your point of view and my view is that Abbreviated and Typo domains are undervalued. Depending on the market and who you contact to sale will make the difference. NYDebtSolutions is more Brandable and would suit a NY Debt agency great. Selling on sites like sedo, flippa, and godaddy auctions would be good option.

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It depends on use and popularity. NY is one of those abbreviations that is probably preferred over the written out "New York". This is simply because it is shorter and does not lose meaning when abbreviated. A good contrast to NYPlumbing would be KYPlumbing. Kentucky Plumbing in this case would make much more sense simply because its not that much longer and more people use it that way in common language. A place like New York is special in that the abbreviation saves two entire words without losing meaning.. most places would not be that way. But NewYorkPlumbing and NYPlumbing could probably be considered equally desirable. There's no one right answer.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

This section is for appraisals of the domains you own

not really for discussions about which versions of a domain are better by perception.

What you're posing is a General Discussion topic.

Thanks

tdn878

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK no probs, sorry about that. I should of stuck to just asking for appraisals about my own domain name. Feel free to move/close/delete my thread.

Hi

This section is for appraisals of the domains you own

not really for discussions about which versions of a domain are better by perception.

What you're posing is a General Discussion topic.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators