Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

playboy sent this email today!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

softcore

Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
do i need to do as thay say?

or tell them to go f*** off ?

some opinions please

thanks
softcore

RE: SEXYRUSSIANPLAYMATES.COM

Dear Sir or Madam:

It has been brought to our attention that you have registered the domain name SEXYRUSSIANPLAYMATES.COM that uses, without authorization, the trademark PLAYMATE as part of your domain name. Further, you have activated this domain name to use in connection with your adult content website at
<http://www.sexyrussianplaymates.com>.
warning popup hell stay away thanks!!!!

Playboy Enterprises International, Inc. ("Playboy"), the publisher of Playboy magazine, is the registered owner of the famous PLAYMATE trademark. This trademark has come to be associated by the general public with Playboy. Your use of Playboy's trademark as part of your domain name and in connection with your adult website is likely to cause confusion and deception, leading members of the public and trade to believe that you are
either licensed, endorsed or sponsored in some manner by Playboy. Your use of Playboy's famous trademark also dilutes the distinctive quality of the PLAYMATE mark.

Further, we advise that the Trademark Cyberpiracy Prevention Act (a.k.a. the Consumer Protection Act) was passed to discourage the registration of domain names that are identical to, or confusingly similar to, trademarks or service names. This Act allows trademark owners like Playboy to more easily pursue legal action against anyone who uses their famous trademarks in a
domain name. If you are found to have registered this domain name in bad faith, you may be liable for up to $100,00 per domain name.

In an effort to avoid further action, we request that you comply with the
following:

1. Immediately and permanently deactivate, dismantle and transfer the domain name SEXYRUSSIANPLAYMATES.COM to Playboy.

2. Immediately and permanently cease any and all use of the trademark PLAYMATE and any other Playboy trademark, variation or similar mark in connection with your goods and services including, but not limited to, the use as a domain name or mark.

Please confirm, by reply to this email, that you agree to comply with the foregoing conditions by 5:00 p.m. (CST) on December 2, 2002. If we do not receive any indication of your intent to comply, we will take appropriate action.

We look forward to your immediate response and cooperation.
This letter is not intended to and shall not waive or prejudice any rights and remedies that Playboy may have at law, in equity or otherwise. Any and all such rights and remedies are hereby expressly reserved.

PLAYBOY ENTERPRISES INTERNATIONAL, INC.

Mary Ball
Manager, Internet Research & Infringement

cc: Ana Cashman, Esq.

Register for the auction

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Playboy has made examples of lots of people, taking them to WIPO, etc. I wouldn't piss them off, if I were you.

If you did choose to reply, I would suggest asking for your costs associated with the domain, i.e. the registration fee + any webhosting costs you incurred while you owned it.

morel

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's not that great of a domain anyway. You might as well give it to them. But like George said, see if you can get your reg fee back.

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I seriously doubt you can ask them for any money to cover your registration fees. They don't want the domain for themselves, they just don't want you to use it.

In most cases, I would say fight for it. This isn't one of them, because it isn't about a developed domain, and not a case where the TM holder wants the name back.

Best of luck!

system0

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yeah i have to agere
unfortunately it doesnt look good for you as playboy take these sort of things very seriously

on a similar topic - respect to hefner!!!;)

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RJ: 4.b.i) of:

http://www.udrplaw.net/UDRP.htm

mentions " for valuable consideration in excess of your documented out-of-pocket costs directly related to the domain name"

so, that's the basis of asking for your costs in acquiring and using the name. Since that sum is usually a lot less than UDRP fees anyhow, most complainants would accept that.

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You are correct GK, I should have stated that I doubt Playboy would be interested in paying even reg fees to a domain holder with this type of name.

Sure, it wouldn't hurt to ask. Let us know what they say softcore.

thinkaholic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just like Ebay does for any domain name with "Ebay" in it, Playboy has a way of finding domains with the term "playmate" in the domain name and automatically send out the C&D email. I got the same one for playmategallery.com. They just worned me not to use the domain name. I was going to put a huge gallery of playmates on the domain name, but decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

Dump it.

Maybe you could trade for a visit to one of Hef's parties!! :)

Chad

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ask to be invited to their next pool party and even add a few years of registration to the domain.

Case closed.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Back before ICANN, Playboy sued me over playboybunny.com but not before sending me 4 emails and 2 letters. Wait for the nice gold embossed bunny letterhead letter and then give it to them.
At least you'll have something to show the grandkids.:)

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gregr,

Are you saying I should have held onto usplayboy.com until I got the cool gold embossed letterhead?

octobus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
softcore,

Why don't you transfer it to octobus? I wouldn't mind receiving cute bunny letter(s) from America :razz:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Register for the auction
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom