Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

popefrancis.com was GIVEN away by a Chicago lawyer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjreine

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Lawyer offers popefrancis.com to pope
A Chicago lawyer bought the domain popefrancis.com on a whim in 2010. Now he's offering to put it on the pope's collection plate.

by Chris Matyszczyk March 16, 2013 10:41 AM PDT

He will surely be grateful.
(Credit: New York Times/YouTube; screenshot by Chris Matyszczyk/CNET)
If the media is to believed, the new Pope Francis is an extremely modest man.
Eschewing the life of palaces in Argentina, he lived modestly and even cooked for himself.
Such frugality, reticence, and identification with the poor of the world isn't often associated with lawyers.
Yet one member of Chicago's legal faith is offering up an act of generosity akin to just chatting with Mary Magdalene.
Chris Connors, spurred merely by religious whimsy, bought popefrancis.com in 2010.
He told the Chicago Tribune: "I thought that at some point in the near future that the names would get more relevant. Nobody names their kids Innocent anymore. And I thought it'd be great if a pope chose Francis after the great saint."

Actually, it would be a fine thing if "Innocent" made a comeback. I would feel so much more comfortable if the CEO of a new, secure social network was called "Innocent," rather than "Larry" or "Mark."
Still, Connors' gamble rather paid off.
Oddly, though, unlike all those faithful who rushed to the fleshpot of GoDaddy in order to buy up any domain that was pope-related last week, Connors is not looking for even an ounce of flesh from the Church.
He's offering to put the domain on the pope's collection plate -- free of charge, of course.
Indeed, Chicago's Cardinal George has already deemed the gesture "delightful."
Connors admits that other people have already been in touch, brandishing 30 pieces of silver and more before his face.
Yet he insists that he wants to "give Pope Francis dibs first."
I wonder if some tasteful speculator has already bought popefrancis.xxx.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57574711-71/lawyer-offers-popefrancis.com-to-pope/

Domain summit 2024

Ulysses

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Very generous and great forward thinking by this lawer.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Generous, he does know they no longer sale salvation though right lol j/k

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
So what is the official name, Pope Francis? Pope Francis I? Papam Fransciscum?

Seriously, this was the worst waste of money on domain registrations since the previous Pope.

The Vatican doesn't care about anything outside of its ccTLD. Some fool even registered the .XXX what is the point of that?

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Always nice to read a story like this. I was wondering what the background was of the person who registered the domain. Like when a fan catches an historic home run baseball and gives it back to the player. Restores some faith in the human race.

Dynamic1

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nice to see Good Lawyers and good people still exist. In todays society sometimes it seems everything can be bought. I am glad to see this is not always true.
this Lawyer is walking the walk instead of talking the talk.
Hopefully some day other lawyers will follow in his footsteps. What I see lately with some lawyers is disgusting and I really don't want my child to have to grow up in a world like that.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So what is the official name, Pope Francis? Pope Francis I? Papam Fransciscum?

Seriously, this was the worst waste of money on domain registrations since the previous Pope.

The Vatican doesn't care about anything outside of its ccTLD. Some fool even registered the .XXX what is the point of that?

I'm guessing someone did so with the intention of protecting the pope's image.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators