Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Selling Domains

bazabizo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am selling my domains on sedo and afternic. Got a small portfolio of 150-200 domains.
Pricing them all between $1488-4888.

I understand that the probability to sell is just 1-2 domains per year on my portfolio size. They are mostly brandables and with a 20-30 EMD with decent CPC and Volume.

None is hand registered, maximum length is around 15 characters.

Getting decent traffic on the domains (as Im autoforwarding the domains to offer pages on sedo). However, I was wondering if its better to remove the price tag from them all and switch to "best offer" instead?

Although some buyers dont like offer-counteroffer strategy, some others feel not confident seeing a BIN on a domain and yet since its not sold before, then there is something wrong with it. Basically both strategies serve 2 different buyer mindsets. Also, the offer strategy will open the door to a lot of low ballers and will rarely sell at the desired x,xxx price?

What do you think has a better conversion rate?

Thanks a lot for reading the long post for this short question, I just wanted to elaborate where the question is coming from :)

Daniel Levi

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
BIN prices see the best conversion rates, I remember a Sedo employee once said so himself.

bazabizo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes thats what they claim, but maybe you get more flexibility iwth the best offer scheme. You might get a $500 offer that you would accept sometimes instead of not selling it for 2K for 10 years... maybe you could sell more for cheaper that way? thats mainly my question :)

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Leave your very best names at "make offer" with a high minimum so you don't end up costing yourself a big sale, but the rest seem to do better at fixed price.
I've done it both ways, and most of the offers you are going to get on most are lowball ones that usually don't even get to the $500 range or result in a sale. If your information in the whois is correct, most legit buyers will email you if they want to make a significant offer that is below your BIN price.

The biggest mistake some domainers make is selling everything too cheap and accepting terrible offers. Be confident, price your names realistically, and evaluate from time to time to see if your percentages are holding. 200 names will cost you roughly $2,000 to maintain each year, so you need to be turning enough inventory to cover that and turn a profit. From talking to a lot of domainers and seeing them talk about it, 3-5% turn seems to be the sweet spot where you maximize your ROI. If you are selling more, you are probably priced too cheap - selling less and you are too high or have garbage names.

bazabizo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes I agree with you a 100%. Its anything above 1% if you're average selling price is a 1000 per domain. Should be higher than 1% if you're selling more expensive and vice versa.

I dont think my portfolio has any garbage (maybe 3-5 domains at most). However, you know its a bit ridiculous that Im just buying continuously, and NOTHING is selling :) I know Im yet to complete a full year (only 4-5 months). However, just wanted to know what statistics other have got?

Daniel Levi

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Personally, when I'm in a domainer position and I'm scouring through Sedo for deals, I usually select the BIN listings first because they are a time saver and allow the process to move more smoothly should I decide to buy anything.

As an end user, imo the same thing applies. You search for your preferred keyword and most times than not you will just make an offer if you like a certain domain's quality. However, the BIN is more appealing because everybody wants to start their business right away and sometimes they don't have the patience, the time, and the desire to negotiate.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

bazabizo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes... Its a fact every domainer has some domains that arent good. Im cleansing my portfolio continuously.
Maybe investors dont have garbage within as they buy very selectively.

asfas

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Agree with all others in that BIN works best in this price range that you mentioned.

Many buyers don't even have a clue about domain prices and left to their own devices will offer you $50 or so. A BIN shows the market value and makes it easier to buy right away.

If someone is much desperate to get your domain but can't afford your BIN, they'll probably google and eventually contact you through WHOIS.

Brandables are not easy to move, that's the problem IMO.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
outside of 3rd party venues -

the longer you've been selling domains and those "least likely" to have to sell their domains.....

typically dictates whether a BIN will be set, unless given in response to a very "serious" offer.

on places like sedo and others, even if you set to "make an offer", when/if you get one, you will still have to reply with a BIN or send to auction.

and since each domain is different, some may get priced, while others won't.

imo...

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Post some samples of these extraordinary brandables. PPC for non generics is crumbs to the peanut.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Why not? :D The quote "brandables and with a 20-30 EMD with decent CPC and Volume" is BS then.

PKumar

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If the EMDs are of two-word, and they are having good number of searches, your domain names are good....

But you should have ability to price your domain names, however, there is no fixed rule of pricing a domain name as the value is in the eyes of buyers, though you should price reasonably to sell fast.

What I will say about these marketplaces such as Sedo, Godaddy Auctions, they advise you to set "buy it now" price, because they want to tie you in their market place.....

If you are using "make offer" price model, then you have flexibility to list your domain names on multiple market places.

Also, make offer pricing is good I think, as you can set at the lowest price you are going to sell if you want to sell them fast... ....... also, it is beneficial with Sedo marketplace, if you set "make offer" price, as if you at least get one offer, you can send the domain name in the auction, if the offer is too low.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators