Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

SETI@home

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jei

Wondering if anybody here runs this on their computers.

My school has put it in all of our computer labs heh.

If you never heard of SETI, here's a site that explains it pretty good and has screenshots.
http://www.setileague.org/general/setihome.htm and here's a quote from it:
"The basis of is as follows: participants download a screensaver-like program from the SETI@home website, as well as a block of raw Project SERENDIP data collected at the Arecibo Radio Observatory in Puerto Rico. That data is be analyzed in the background, harnessing your unused computer power. Your computer sifts through the cosmic noise for patterns of artificial extra-terrestrial origin."

This is the SETI@home official page:
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

I'm not sure why I posted this, maybe because I've been staring at the screensaver too long. :D Although I'm a bit skeptical of this project finding an E.T. , it kinda makes you wonder...

Domain Summit 2024

Darkfire001

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I decided against it and instead did one that looks for Prime Numbers at least in that case we know they exist and it would be cool to have one named after yourself.

P

President Gringo

theres another one that helps find a cure for cancer too......works on the same principle.

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've run it for over 3 years now and 7,000 hours !..no problems at all.. I use to have it set as a screen saver so it only takes CPU when I am not on the computer..but leave it most the time anymore..

someday ..someday..would be pretty cool if "your" computer was the one that received and "processes" CONTACT !

wwww

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I used it for a while, but then I got sick of looking at the same screensaver all the time.... :D

Darkfire001

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well the main thing I like about the prime numbers is I know theres a goal since it shows me what its processing and it sometimes finds a "hot" number and starts doing a VERY long tedious check on it which take about 40 Hours of Computer time even when Ive alotted it alot of space. Right now ive narrowed one down right now to 1/10,000. which is pretty dang cool, but need to start running it soon so no one else takes my batch of numbers lol.

EDIT: Correction 1/78,182 Chance of yielding a Mersenne Prime (I think there is something special about these ones since there are only like 21 EVER, and large cash award if you find one. But its only program ive found so far that I like)

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by bidawinner
I've run it for over 3 years now and 7,000 hours !..no problems at all.. I use to have it set as a screen saver so it only takes CPU when I am not on the computer..but leave it most the time anymore..

someday ..someday..would be pretty cool if "your" computer was the one that received and "processes" CONTACT !

I have used SETI@HOme for 3+ years.

I have completed 1838 work units.

SETI@Home runs all the time on two machines I have. One has 128 MB ram, one has 768 MB.

I love to watch it analyze.

-Bob

peter

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yup I run it too
shame they dont have a linux client =(

J

jei

Originally posted by Darkfire001
...Right now ive narrowed one down right now to 1/10,000. which is pretty dang cool...

EDIT: Correction 1/78,182 Chance of yielding a Mersenne Prime (I think there is something special about these ones since there are only like 21 EVER, and large cash award if you find one. But its only program ive found so far that I like)

I've never liked math, but if letting your computer do all the work and getting $$$ if it's successful, then ok, math is cool. :D

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey darkfire..

I just downloaded gimp also...is it possible to have a individual one running and a "group" profile..

we need aDNF group searching ! ..

jeanluc

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I used it two years ago for thousands hours...no problem at all !!! And as bonus, I found few E.T. civilisations... ;o)

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anybody listen to Art Bell?..

RMF

bidawinner

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Use to everynight.. havent in awhile..

I have followed Cydonia and the face on mars , since 1977 !

Rich Hoagland ego is huge but you have to give him credit he did make the call on water long before anyone else and it does appear that artifacts of a previous civilization are on mars, not even going into mundane like plant growth..forests etc...

Really got interesting the last 6 months.. there IS water.. enough to cover most of the panet..AND the latest these past few months is the mysterious (daytime) IR photos released by NASA (or were they ?)..which clearly http://enterprisemission.com/ir_images.html
show BUILDINGS !

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I try to listen to Art Bell when theres shows that interest me, but its so hard to. There's to many commercials. Theres like 40minutes of commercials in an hour. Its brutal.

Your right about Richard's ego :D

Anybody that hasn't listened to Art Bell, should. Its a real eye opener. Sometimes you get some crazy people on there, but a lot of it is good stuff.

RMF

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom