Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Should I make Silver memberships free?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fearless

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
People have spoken and I have listened. I need some feedback.

Should I make Silver memberships free? Silver memberships allow browsing of the entire site. Right now everyone in the world can browse the advertising section.

I posted in another thread my reasoning and here it is:

A lot of us have posted things that could come back on us and bite us in the ass. I've had numerous PMs where members have requested that threads be deleted because they wrote things they shouldn't have. At least this way it will cost $9.95 for someone to dig up dirt to use against you. We are also going to have 2 week trial Silver memberships. The dirt diggers will at least have to have to jump through some hoops to read.

And please don't use this thread to post remarks like "everything should be free". Please stick to the topic.

Upvote 0

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
*popper pats duke on the back for being such a good sport - and great member*

:)

Domain Summit 2024

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes. Much like the rest of the Internet.

~ Nexus

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by -RJ-
Well done. Now there's a better possibility of seeing the membership grow, insted of slowly watching it dwindle from it's current size.

Agree

How about limiting the silver members to one post a day, so they can get a "taste" of what it's like to be a DNF member. :)razz: mmm.... yummy) [/B]

Disagree.

Posting is giving, usually.

I don't think there should be a charge for giving.

Starting a thread is often (but not always) requesting help or something.

It would be a bit more logical if charges were made for starting a thread, rather than posting replies/follow ups.

RON2

@domainbuyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dotNetKing
It would be a bit more logical if charges were made for starting a thread, rather than posting replies/follow ups.

If I read that right, you're suggesting limited new threads to paying members but allow free members to reply to existing threads?

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by -RJ-

If I read that right, you're suggesting limited new threads to paying members but allow free members to reply to existing threads?

I don't necessarily think that starting new threads should be limited to paying members.

But I do think that contributing with replies and comments to threads that have already been started is a positive thing (normally), and it doesn't quite seem right to charge for contributing in this way.

Is my logic flawed?

Manic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by dotNetKing

I think that's a VERY BAD IDEA.

Starting new threads, and posting to existing threads, should both be accessible.

Why?

Because, if members have to pay to start a new thread, some will just try to divert the existing threads with unrelated requests and information.

It would become a mess.

---------

*edit* ... I voted YES! GregR, please keep this forum accessible to all, or it will die... *edit*

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree silver should be free,with restrictions as to starting threads. maybe requiring a certain number of replys to threads before ability to create a thread.

It would have also very nice for members with high number of posts to get discounts on pricing of other plans, before implementation. Therefore probability of higher retention of membership. It adds to the integrity of information if you have lots of members with many postings. It shows longevity to the newbies.

Thanks for restoring some freedom to the internet.

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Posting can be either giving or taking. If you post a request for info, that is taking.

M

mole

Originally posted by gregr
Silver memberships are now free. There goes $70 down the drain. I refunded all the people that signed up for Silver memberships. :)

Wow :eek: You can actually teach an old dog new tricks :D

ObtainADomain

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by gregr
Silver memberships are now free. There goes $70 down the drain. I refunded all the people that signed up for Silver memberships. :)

Bravo! This decision just makes good business sense as most of us are trying to sell domains here & this allows the general public to see our wares.

This decision will also fend of other domain forums from rivaling dnforum's undisputed #1 status.

Go Superman!

tino

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Okay, perhaps I'm the only one but...

If you want to sell Platinum accounts, there have to be some advantages. One of those might be that these members get some premium access to some part of the sites.

For example; being able to view posts in the SALES thread one day before others can see them. In this way, Platinum members could get a great benefit over the other users.

Ofcourse, this may be difficult to implement... But this way I think the "Browse Everywhere" function shouldn't have to be free!

Tino

Skywalker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree silver should be free.

Nexus

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Late to the party, SkyWalker. Welcome to dnforum, though. :)

~ Nexus

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom